**** DONE: 1/48 Fairey Gannet AS.1 - Carrier Aircraft GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great stuff Vic, and nice to see the nose wheel doors opened - all the pics I have of Gannets have them open too.

Thanks a bunch folks but nothing further to report as yet though I have been plodding on with nitty bitty bits.

Many thanks Jan and Sergio. Also my apologies for the delay, I didn't get to close up the machine until yesterday and then had a few join problems to sort out.

Anyway 'onwards and upwards' as the saying goes. Before closing up I decided that I should sort out all the vents and exhausts this monster has protruding from the fuselage and there are a lot. So blindly plodding ahead I duly cut up bits of piping in various sizes and started scraping away bits of the moulded plastic, replacing them with the pipe pieces. From these next 5 pics you can see where these vent thingy's are. The red arrows are the ones I got correct. Blue represents a stuff-up by me, they should be exhaust popes so the pieces were removed and the correct exhaust will be added later. Yellow is where I stuck on this tiny piece of pipe (there is one each side) only to find this morning that I'd stuck this one with the opening facing outward (it was so hard to see) so I had to replace it.

120902-1A.jpg

120902-1E.jpg

120902-1D.jpg

120902-1C.jpg

120902-1B.jpg

Having got that all out of the way, I let the night pass and in the following morning, joined the two halves along with all the innards in place i.e. cockpits by 3, main mid fuselage exhausts and nose wheel bay. This was not without problems and true to form from other Classic kits that I have done, this one also proved troublesome. Needless to say I did get it sorted but a lot of seam work had to be done to close hairline gaps and miss-fitting joins.

120902-1F.jpg

120902-1G.jpg

This kit also uses a very heavy and thick plastic, in effect when done this monster will be, to put it politely 'built like a brick sh!t house' and probably look like one as well!! So up front we have enough lead shot to balance the next 'Americas Cup' Maxi, but even now I'm not sure if it will end up a tail sitter after the tail stabilisers and extra fins are added.

120902-1H.jpg

Next I had a go at sorting out a couple of hoisting rings on the a/c spine. In most pics I've seen they are quite prominent.

120902-1J.jpg

Last but not least for today, the almost finished undercart doors which have either been scratch built or modified in some way. They now just need a bit of roughing up with dirt and sea spary!!

120902-1I.jpg

You need to build from the ground up Vic, to give this Brick House a proper foundation, don't rush a step, this cement needs time to settle :D (thats my handy man tip of the day hehe) :D hehehe Looking good :)

vic my friend I'll do something.......
very nice but frankly it is a great job of really good detailed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back