**** DONE: 1/48 Focke-Wulf Fw190 A-3 8./JG2 "Black 13" - Me/ Fw Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers Wayne and Bill

Mr Little is the one for setting benchmarks, I just fumble along! :oops: Your thinking ahead anyway Bill, that one doesn't start to November, in the meantime what are you going to pull out for the aces build?

Cheers Peter

Aces will be the last Yak-1b, white 23, of the "WHITE ROSE OF STALINGRAD" Lydia Vladimirovna Litvyak (Moscow, August 18, 1921 – August 1, 1943), also known as Lydia Litviak or Lilya Litviak, was a fighter pilot in the Soviet Air Force during World War II. With 12 solo victories (but some authors say 11 or even 13 and either two, or four, shared) gained in 66 combat missions, she is one of the world's only two female fighter aces, along with Katya Budanova. How's that for pulling another out of left field?? If the kit ever gets here from the States from a friend of mine.......

Last edited:
Thanks Evan and T.

Cheers Bill, sounds like an interesting subject for sure.

Speaking of fumbles, I need to do a fix up on the flaps on Black 13. I started this one a couple of years back, and in the process of cutting out the flaps to fit etch replacements, I also removed the wing trailing edge. The flaps on the 190 sit forward and don't finish right at the trailing edge, so big mistake. Having made this stuff up, I hid the offending kit it's cardboard box in the back corner of the cupboard. I had intended to get back to it sometime never, but I had a change of mind for this GB.:rolleyes::)

Pic 1
Here's the gaff. There a thin strip of plastic should remain along the trailing edge of the wing. I tried to retain this as I cut out the flaps, but the thickness of the knife I was using distorted and stretched the thin strip to a point that I had to remove them.

Pic 2
Okay, here's the photo etch flaps. They are, even when assembled, a little two dimensional to replicate the real deal, as they should have a triangular cross section. Still I am going to display them only partially open, so this shouldn't matter too much. I've noticed on a couple of pictures they do tend to droop, including this pic of black13.

168474.jpg

Pic 3
This pic shows the assembled wing with the upper photo etch detail affixed to the wing top half.

Pic 4
I've added thin strips of polystyrene sheet to the trailing edge. I'll sand these back and make good before primer and paint.

Pic 5
Pic of the assembled flaps. I think some resin ones would be better if I was doing this again, but they turned out okay. I'll add these after paint.

End of update. 8)

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• flap fix 002 - resized.jpg
    flap fix 002 - resized.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 119
  • flap fix 001 - resized.jpg
    flap fix 001 - resized.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 128
  • flap fix 005 - resized.jpg
    flap fix 005 - resized.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 112
  • flap fix 003 - resized.jpg
    flap fix 003 - resized.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 127
  • flap fix 004 - resized.jpg
    flap fix 004 - resized.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 118
Still more progress as I installed the cockpit, wings, engine and cowling. The Tamiya parts fit like a glove, and there is not much further work to do before painting.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• Airframe 001 resized.jpg
    Airframe 001 resized.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Airframe 002 resized.jpg
    Airframe 002 resized.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 133
Thanks Guys

Today's update is on the start of paint work

Pic 1
In preparation for yellow rudder, lower cowl and the white cross markings, I have sprayed the areas in Model Master white.

Pic 2
The fuselage crosses are made by creating a 'negative' image (replacing white with black) of the decals to actual size and then printing them on paper. These are cut out and taped over some Tamiya tape. I use a surgical scalpel to cut the crosses out, cutting the tape below.

Pic 3
Here's the result. I've already used one set in this pic.

Pic 4
To set up these on the fuselage, I form a cross with tape cut to the same width as the interior of the cross and apply the masks in the corners.

Pic 5
Here's the result after removing the interior cross

Pic 6
Other side was done exactly the same. I think this is going to look better than the decals, as the large area of clear film always seems to create problems with silvering - or maybe that's just me! :oops:

Pic 7
Okay fuselage done, now I add the white areas to the top of the wings. This aircraft has, according to the instructions, just the white outlines on the top surface.

Pic 8
Masks completed in the same way for the wings.

Thanks for the kind words and another update will be made soon - I gotta get this one done by EOM!
8)

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• masks 001a - resized.jpg
    masks 001a - resized.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 92
  • masks 001 - resized.jpg
    masks 001 - resized.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 85
  • masks 007 - resized.jpg
    masks 007 - resized.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 92
  • masks 006 - resized.jpg
    masks 006 - resized.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 103
  • masks 005 - resized.jpg
    masks 005 - resized.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 90
  • masks 004 - resized.jpg
    masks 004 - resized.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 121
  • masks 003 - resized.jpg
    masks 003 - resized.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 91
  • masks 002 - resized.jpg
    masks 002 - resized.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 94
Cheers Vic

Onto the next stage. Yellow.

Pic 1
I use white for a base before spraying the yellow, as yellow is a very transparent colour. The white underneath makes the yellow seem brighter than if I had used grey primer.

Pic 2 3
I decided to do some pre-shading to the lower cowl and rudder leading edge. The colour I'm using is obviously red, but when the yellow is added over the top it will take on a brown/ orange look in the areas shaded.

Pic 4 5
Here are the areas with the first coat of yellow. Not quite the way I want them. Getting there.

Pic 6 7
Final yellow coat. I'll back mask these areas for the next stage.

End of update.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• yellow 007 resized.jpg
    yellow 007 resized.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 128
  • yellow 006 resized.jpg
    yellow 006 resized.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 103
  • yellow 005 resized.jpg
    yellow 005 resized.jpg