**** DONE: 1/48 Fw190 D-9 "Blue 12" - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Coming along very nice John. Regarding the I.P. decals. There's a company based out of the U.K. that sells the world's supply of individual dial decals, enough on the sheets to do several panels. These are the Luftwaffe dials...

View attachment 272243
airscale - high resolution cockpit enhancements for model aircraft.
I'm gonna get me some when I recharge my PayPal.

Geo

Whoa... those are cool! I have reservations about investing too much into the IP's since they are so hard to see. But good to know what is available out there!

I thought I'd have an update but I've had to spend some time on other things: fishing trip on Friday (whole boat got blanked :evil:)... replaced my old rear projection TV with a proper LED flatscreen... trying to revive a dead printer... etc. Hope to get cracking on my Dora soon!

A little bit of progress... mostly on small bits and pieces.

The prop was painted dark green darkened even more with black...
IMGP6987_copy_zps765dd67b.jpg

The spiral was a "loose" one and terminated about 1/2 down the spinner to try and match the reference photos.
IMGP6986_copy_zps9283e323.jpg

Here is the wheel well insert painted and weathered...
IMGP6984_copy_zpse2569c77.jpg

The landing gear parts painted and weathered... I originally had painted the wheels gray but changed it to black after checking photos. I added wire for brake lines and drilled out holes in the oleos.
IMGP6982_copy_zpsd06d7571.jpg

Lovely work on the gear legs! Nice job on the spinner too. All in all, that Dora is looking good.

Connection to this site has been dodgy for me the past couple of days. Anyone else having access issues?

Working on a few more things before the main assembly of wings to fuselage. The fuselage halves have been glued together and the top gun cowling added. The fit has been very good on this Hobby Boss kit... very impressed.
IMGP6996_copy_zpsbe9166d4.jpg

The front cowling is one piece with the intake details molded in. Not the finest detail but adequate. After painting, the front end is masked using a circular piece of masking tape.
IMGP6988_copy_zps11845059.jpg

IMGP6989_copy_zps3047341f.jpg

IMGP6990_copy_zps7e7140b0.jpg

The headrest is painted and the canopy masks applied. I used Montex masks on this kit... not as good as Eduard in terms of fit and adherence. I had to augment the masks using pieces of Tamiya tape.
IMGP6991_copy_zpsbda3ecb9.jpg

IMGP6998_copy_zps242fb0a5.jpg

The tail rudder, ailerons and flaps are separate pieces. Some ejector marks need to be cleaned up if the flaps are to be shown in the lowered position.
IMGP6995_copy_zps6e8d5cb1.jpg

Dry-fitting the wings to the fuselage shows the detail I added to the engine plug as well as the opening of the 2nd ammo chute. Pretty sloppy work but that's the best I could manage with the tools that I have. You can also see that the ammo ejection openings look straight up into the wheel wells.
IMGP7005_copy_zpse9998b8e.jpg

In order to limit the view through the ammo openings, I decided to add ejector chutes using pieces of plastic sheet. These will be added after all of the painting is completed.
IMGP7007_copy_zps6d9c0863.jpg

IMGP7008_copy_zpsc80601ac.jpg

IMGP7010_copy_zpsbffee3b2.jpg

IMGP7011_copy_zps6921f03a.jpg

And finally, the ETC rack.
IMGP7012_copy_zps1005015c.jpg

Wings and tail planes attached. Again, fit is very good with no major gaps.
IMGP7017_copy_zpsd64c8132.jpg

IMGP7019_copy_zpsbc50ee38.jpg

Just some finish sanding on the joints required.
IMGP7018_copy_zps4a560b34.jpg

Damn, that does look nice. Is the Hobby Boss really that good?

I've been very impressed with this kit. I don't have much experience in terms of numbers of modern kits built with only 4-5 under my belt. But it is the best fitting kit I've built so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back