**** DONE: 1/48 Fw190 A-4 - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That's looking pretty sharp John. I suppose the amount of green you apply depends on how much of the white you intend to depict. A newly applied and little worn white finish could possibly be applied over grey primer but pictures of actual aircraft almost never look perfectly white. I think you took the right path in allowing some of the underlying factory applied finish to show a bit.

I have to agree with Andy on the camo "undercoating" first. Just be real patient in laying down the white. I generally do several very light coats with letting coat dry first. A slow build up of the white will get it just about perfect. Great job so far. I love the per shading you did.

Did the white coat this morning. Based on everyone's advice, I took it very slow... almost panel by panel. Used Tamiya White heavily thinned with iso alcohol and shot it at low pressure. Irregularity of the white pattern increased going from general squiggly pattern at the tail to a spotted pattern at the nose.

JTK_2048_copy.jpg

JTK_2046_COPY.jpg

The fuselage halves first appeared in the Dragon Master Series fw190A-4 kit in 1994 and then appeared in the Hasegawa version with the same boxart many years later!
So it was a collaboration of sorts...

Wayne,

That's right. :oops:My error the fuselage halves are from 1994 dragon kit. I meant to come back an correct my comments but life got in the way and I forgot. The Hasegawa kit was released in 2005. My reference also say the wheels, cowls and cooling grill inserts were too.

Last edited:
Camo is done so now the plane is coated in Alclad Gloss for decaling. The Print Scale decals were not very good to me. First of all, the green color of the heart looked off to me. Too light.

IMGP6875_copy.jpg

So I dug into my spares box and found another set of green hearts for a 109 that were usable. Not sure if Nowotny's plane had green hearts with the white border but I much preferred the shade of green on these hearts.

JTK_2049_copy.jpg

The Print Scale decals didn't lay down well using the Microsol/Microset process. They are also brittle and I ended up destroying a wing cross trying to get the decal to conform to the panel lines. In the end, I resorted back to the Hasegawa kit decals for everything EXCEPT the aforementioned green hearts, the white 8 and the I/JG54 nose emblem.
JTK_2050_copy.jpg

JTK_2051_copy.jpg

JTK_2052_copy.jpg

After the decals were applied, I coated the model in Alclad Flat and applied a pastel chalk wash. Exhaust stains were airbrushed using brown and black.
JTK_2054_copy.jpg

JTK_2055_copy.jpg

JTK_2058_copy.jpg

Weathering done, all that remains is attaching the fiddly bits. The tail wheel looked abnormally extended when compared to reference photos so they were adjusted accordingly.
JTK_2063_copy.jpg

Main landing gear, gun barrels and prop added.

JTK_2076_copy.jpg

Only thing left to do is to add the aerial. This one is a wrap!

JTK_2083_copy.jpg

Thank you gentlemen! It was a fairly straightforward build and the kit went together well. I was expecting the worst for the forward cowling assembly but it fit surprisingly well. Here are some more photos of my winter butcher bird...

JTK_2140_copy_zps47f7f3fa.jpg

JTK_2141_copy_zpse68ef685.jpg

JTK_2142_copy_zps8072b16a.jpg

JTK_2146_copy_zpsf11a56d1.jpg

JTK_2149_copy_zps1e865868.jpg

JTK_2150_copy_zpsee9601df.jpg

JTK_2152_copy_zps0c83ebb0.jpg

JTK_2154_copy_zpsf2a1c502.jpg

JTK_2155_copy_zps5adae163.jpg

JTK_2161_copy_zps74f90679.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread