**** DONE: 1/48 Fw190 A-4 - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Does anyone know what type of wheel is appropriate for a Fw190A-4 circa 1942? As I mentioned in my previous post, the kit supplies two types of tires...

IMGP6705_copy.jpg

IMGP6710_copy.jpg

I had assumed that the spoked wheel was appropriate for my JG54 A-4 but the instructions call out for the non-spoked wheel. It's hard to make out in photos due the wheels and tires being a dark color.

Very nice build. Great work on the cockpit.

Love the 190. Definitely one of my favourite aircraft.

Regarding your question on the wheel rims for the A4, both were appropriate. Late A4's had the smooth rim. Best to check your references if you are modeling one from a picture.

Cheers,
Dave.

Last edited:
Beautiful work so far John. What scheme did you end up chosing?

Thanks Andy and everyone else! This build is going a little slower due to my other hobby (fishing) getting in the way! I wanted a bird with the I/JG54 red/yellow/black coat of arms insignia on the cowling, which Trautloft's machine did not have. So I elected to go with Major Walter Nowotny's White 8 that I was originally considering. I have not seen any photos of this particular machine but have found these three profiles at Wings Palette...

2_78.jpg

2_78_b1.png

2_78_b2.jpg

totalize said:
Regarding your question on the wheel rims for the A4, both were appropriate. Late A4's had the smooth rim. Best to check your references if you are modeling one from a picture.

Unless I can get a photo of White 8, I guess the wheel choice will be up to me?

Well John, here's your rig but it's inconclusive as to the wheel hub type:

289479.jpg

Edit: A quick flip through my other references has not shown any definitive pics of the hubs for white 8 but I have one or two others from the same staffel in winter camo that show the hubs with the circular holes. In the absence of any forthcoming better info, I'd probably settle for those.

Last edited:
Regarding your question on the wheel rims for the A4, both were appropriate. Late A4's had the smooth rim. ...

I'm not sure the solid hubs appeared with late A-4s. The kind of the rim appaered with increasing in the weight of Fw109A. The A-4 was still the light variant of the plane. According to FW 190 Monography by Kagero the kind of wheel appeared with the A-7 type. A couple of sources mentioned the A-5 what is more likely. But I would say the A-6.

Squadron Walkaround says they appeared on late A-4's but that doesn't make it true. Sounds like the spoked hubs are the best bet.

Spoked wheels were what I was leaning towards anyway. A little more progress to report.

The cockpit with the IP in place. Nice positive fit... completely 180 degrees from the I-16 instrument panel fit.:lol:
IMGP6791_copy.jpg

The cockpit tub can be installed after the fuselage halves are put together so I'm going to leave it out for now because I have to deal with some warpage. I don't foresee this being a major issue but I'll have to secure the fuselage halves carefully.
IMGP6787_copy.jpg

In the meantime, I painted the wheel well insert.
IMGP6794_copy.jpg

I foresee some fit issues with the front of the fuselage. The cowling is made up of multiple parts so it looks to be a challenge getting everything secured and lined up.

Nicely done so far.

Having built some of these 190's, get that fuselage set right first, and fit the wings, assemble the cowling as a separate section and then fit it over the engine, you will have some interference fitting to do but lots of dryfitting as you go, once the cowling is fitted in place you will then most likely have a small amount of filling to do around the lower rear cowling to wing fit area, some careful filing and sanding and you will get a nice finish.

Last edited:
Coming along nicely, and some great tips from a very skilled guy like Wayne.

My butcher bird book recently released by valiant wings says the fuselage halves on these kits are not Hase moulds but I think Revell from the 70's. Nevertheless I think this kit is probably the best A4 in 1/48 scale out there so is their A3. It's bit more accurate than the Tamiya A3 from what I have read. Of course the Tammi kit can be built into a nice represenation of an A3 as well and really no kit is perfect.

Last edited:
You've good help coming from the stick John and I do like the pit and wheel wells, particularly the well wiring and weathering.

Coming along nicely, and some great tips from a very skilled guy like Wayne.

My butcher bird book recently released by valiant wings says the fuselage halves on these kits are not Hase moulds but I think Revell from the 70's. Nevertheless I think this kit is probably the best A4 in 1/48 scale out there so is their A3. It's bit more accurate than the Tamiya A3 from what I have read. Of course the Tammi kit can be built into a nice represenation of an A3 as well and really no kit is perfect.

The fuselage halves first appeared in the Dragon Master Series fw190A-4 kit in 1994 and then appeared in the Hasegawa version with the same boxart many years later!
So it was a collaboration of sorts...

Nicely done so far.

Having built some of these 190's, get that fuselage set right first, and fit the wings, assemble the cowling as a separate section and then fit it over the engine, you will have some interference fitting to do but lots of dryfitting as you go, once the cowling is fitted in place you will then most likely have a small amount of filling to do around the lower rear cowling to wing fit area, some careful filing and sanding and you will get a nice finish.

Thanks for the great insight into this particular kit, Wayne! I am taking the main component assembly slowly, dry fitting major pieces together. I had the same idea as you about the cowling assembly but the engine is not going to let me do it so I might have to build the cowling over a free floating engine (not yet attached to the fuselage. It seems the better way to go... getting all of the cowling seams as good and tight as can be and then just worrying about the fit to the fuselage.

fubar said:
An aircraft from your squadron, Krasnogvardeisk, early '43, slotted rims...

Great picture George! I have proceeded with the painting of the spoked wheels so I think it is the best choice based on all of the info that people have posted. I really like the detail of the texture of the white overspray in that picture... it really helps me to think about exactly how I'm going to approach this camo pattern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back