**** DONE: 1/48 Fw 189-A2 – Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks chaps. Still plodding on slowly, started a little spraying yesterday but had airbrush problems and also some paint blistering, so making a fresh attempt today.

Congratulations on a successful surgery! I don't think this patient will have any scars!

Got the initial under spray on yesterday, a couple of light passes of RLM 65 over some panel line and access hatch shading. It came out nice and glossy, so decaling should work well. Also noticed a couple of join line problems, so sorted those last night ready for an over spray today.

20140930 a.jpg

Was also quite pleased with the wing dihedral fix, it hardly noticeable.

20140930 b.jpg

Thanks for looking in Guys and for the encouraging words.

Well the top camo is now on and after a couple of shiny coats I'll start on the topside decals. Then the fun will begin with the white distemper look.

As you can see she is not looking so bad though the colours (RLM 70/71) are almost indistinguishable. There is a bit of tape marking and the colour demarcation lines need a bit of attention, but as I'm going to also distemper, I'm not over concerned with this.

20141003 a.jpg

20141003 b.jpg

For you Mike, those little handles on the fuselage side. Just a bit of PE but very fiddly. I've also noticed that the mid canopy must have sprung at some time as one can see its not well bedded. I'll have to work on that.

20141003 c.jpg

Question folks re the winter distemper over paint. My instructions show it to be on both upper surfaces as well as the lower surfaces, but I have a feeling that it should only be on the upper surfaces. Your thoughts please gentlemen.

for white is complicated in itself also apply if you have to give the effect of wear ...
I'm like I would do it if you allow me:

according to this varnish gave a hand to protect what they have done preferably enamel, drying well dried white would give very much diluted in 2 or 3 caps without doing more homogeneous subsection do see where it is less likely to lose color and less subsection where it lost it before, after this would give, worn 2000 grit and wet sand to even less so would take away the paint lines and little homogeneous.
but to avoid complicate and good results you have the mask with micro mask or similar and paint over the same way without being homogeneous paint, or the product of ak-interactive it is for this type of work, I saw something about this product but I've never used

Last edited:
The Ju88 I did called to top only the RLM65 bottom stayed. I have seen illustrations for Ju87s the same. White over the 70/71 camo only and the area around the canopy is very light with nothing on the window frames.

Don't have a lot on your type Vic. Found your bird but it's only a profile...

Untitled.jpg

...having said that, I found two photos in a book that shows aircraft from the same squadron, the winter before, showing white on top with a darker color(blue?) on the bottom of the aircraft.

Geo

Thanks for the info gents, I was leaning towards just whiting the upper surfaces, it was in truth my preference and I'm also leaning towards the hairspray technique.

I also realised today that there are a lot more decals on this machine than I first though. But all further progress will be on hold for a couple of weeks as I'm off to Bali on Monday for a bit of a birthday bash. Can't let my three score and ten pass without something to remember, great food, a jar or three, lounging by the pool, a couple more jars (beers), a cocktail or two, an elephant ride and a couple of those famed Bali spa and massages, especially the hot stones. Bliss………….

Vic, I agree on the just on the upper surfaces with the bottom Hellblau. I would also think the white should be applied poorly and irregularly, slopped on in effect as it was probably just whitewash. Handles look good Vic
A Happy Birthday to you and ehjoy your Bali High

Users who are viewing this thread

Back