**** DONE: 1/48 Gloster Gauntlet II – From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OMG is it Ever summertime down here............... 47 degrees C? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
200 fires in NSW..... Tasmania is burning...... Victoria is on fire...... S.A. and Wayne are melting......

Gonna watch the progress close on the stringing on this......
Mine is there now and I need tutoring!

Thanks for looking in folk and 'Oh My' it's been a stinking hot day and just to add to the fun, we have been having power cuts as well.

So between power interruptions and ringing out wet shirts (the aircon is struggling) I have managed to drill a number of small hols for the rigging buckles, my smallest drill, a #80 is over two times larger than the buckle shaft. But for those waiting for some info, the idea is to glue the buckles in holes, thread through the rigging which will come out of and go back into a shim that has to be cut to 1.5mm and then secured so one gets a tight looking rigging line.

The following pics show a couple of buckles, some rigging thread and the #80 drill with a scalpel blade just to give some prospective to size.

20130108-1a.jpg

A close-up of the drilled holes round the strut support mounting hole.

20130108-1b.jpg

The buckles placed (not yet glued) in the drilled holes. Note the angled of the buckles, they are pointing in the right direction for each lines trajectory.

20130108-1c.jpg

20130108-1d.jpg

Nothing much to show I afraid, she is just about ready for the first metal spray but with the temps as high as they are (39C today) it would be a fool's errand doing it now.

Found some time today and gave this little fellow a tentative coat of paint. Initial paint was a brown colour streaked over the wing surfaces and on the fuselage joints and fabric area. The idea to try and get some sort of shading with the top coat. Then follow this up with a hand brush of the silver dope, I used Humbrol 7001.

That's right Terry HUMBROL and it seems to have come up a treat.

20130113-1a.jpg

The plan now is to use an alternative brand of enamel paint i.e. Model Master, same shade and apply with a light spray and hopefully we will get yet another slight shade of silver dope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back