**** DONE: 1/48 Hawker Sea Fury FBII, 807 NAS, 1951 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not enough lube mate! Hardly been out much this past month, mainly as I haven't had the energy; I just hope it's not the prelude to something serious, as it reminds me a little of how I felt before almost 'copping it' due to a pericardial effusion a few years back.
I'm going to have a go at one of the wings tonight, but I'm not going to force things - just see how it goes.

Thanks Paul and Vic. I'm hoping it's just the after effects of the 'bug' that floored me last week - but I'm keeping an eye on certain things!
Been twiddling with the wings, and I've got a plastic insert fitted to the port wing, and part-way through sorting the extra hinges, ram, and ammo feed tracks.
Just about to try some test-fitting, and if that works, then I'll probably cut through the metal joint on the starboard wing, and make the same arrangement as the port side.
Once I get something done, I'll post some pics.

Cheers mate. And Vic, if I ever do folded wings again (and there's a good chance), then if the wing fold isn't part of the kit, I'll definitely be making my own!

Thanks Bill - I seem to be recovering. Don't know what it was, but it was a bit worrying at one time.
F9 - that's the Cougar/Panther isn't it? If so, then I think the Revell kit has a wing fold included, so shouldn't be too bad, and detail can always be added to the basic kit parts.
Anyway, some progress has been made, and I think I'm on the right track - which confirms it would have been easier, and probably more accurate, to have scratch-built the entire wing fold in the first place, as originally planned!
So far, I've removed the PE parts, separated the two halves of the wing fold, and reinforced the whole lot by adding the ammo feed, missing hinges and hydraulic ram, and inserting a plastic card 'plate' into the outer wing sections.
The wings have yet to be attached, but test-fitting shows that, with care, and by glueing the outer wings in stages, a good, rigid joint, at the correct angle, should be possible.
PIC 1 Shows the plastic card 'plate' in the process of being fitted to the port wing. This will sit inside the wing, flush with the outer edges, and will provide a much larger contact area with the PE flange.
PICS 2 and 3. The upper wing flanges were cut free and cleaned up, and the PE hinges also cleaned, to ensure all traces of dried CA adhesive were removed.
The ammo feed chute, to the rear of the aft hinge, was constructed from plastic card, forming a strong, rigid box, and the small 'internal' hinges, along with the locking latch, were also added, again using 15 thou plastic card. The PE set omitted the main hydraulic ram and it's associated brackets, and these were added from plastic card and rod, shown forward of the front PE hinge bracket. Holes were drilled in the upper (outer) wing flange, to accept the ram, and also for wiring, which will be added later, and 'lightening' holes were also drilled in the forward, lower flange, as per the real aircraft.
The upper wing flanges were then 'superglued' in place onto the PE hinges and added parts, forming a strong joint and a much more rigid 'platform' for the outer wing panels to fit to.
The surfaces look a bit rough at the moment, as the flimsy metal took a bit of punishment, and the thin coat of silver primer has suffered accordingly. However, once the wings are firmly in place and set, and the final details such as wiring fitted, the whole lot will be re-painted properly.
I'm hoping to get this done within the next day or two, and then move on to the remaining undercarriage parts, before doing some slight alterations to the drop tanks.
Thanks again for your well-wishes, and continued interest, and I'll get some more progress pics posted as soon as I've made some headway.

Attachments

• Sea Fury Build 132.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Sea Fury Build 125.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 65
  • Sea Fury Build 127.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 59
Yep, Panther, the cougar was the 6 and 8 models with swept wings, and no kit for them anywhere. I would rather have done a 6P as I'm kinda fakin it with the 5P on the Yorktown.

Glad to hear things are settling.

Thanks guys. Still twiddling with the other wing now, then trim and file the added parts, and fit the wings. With a bit of luck, I might have this stage completed by tomorrow night - not had much time to work on it today.

Users who are viewing this thread