**** DONE: 1/48 Hawker Sea Fury FBII, 807 NAS, 1951 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's looking rather nice, just a shame it's causing so much difficulty.
As I remember on my Corsair the blades for the folding mechanism were huge compared to what you are having to work with. Hindsight is so cruel. Would a PVC card behind have been a bit easier for all this effort? I made a track inside for the Blade of the parts to fit in, and very snug.

The "I shouldas" set in. Knowing you will sort it out, but hoping it's just a little effort, and big reward.

Got my fingers crossed the lubricant (pub) helps you get sorted on the wing. I've been saying to myself all day…………..Oh why, oh why did I do this folding thing!!........................In slightly stronger words.

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll get there in the end, and of course the lack of hand articulation doesn't help - be much easier for an able-bodied person. I definitely think my original, 20 year old plan, to scratch-build the wing fold would have been easier, and much stronger.

Thanks Hugh. Going to get to grips with both wings tomorrow - when I should have a full, un-interrupted day in which to invent some new curse words !!

I agree there Paul! Personally, I'm not keen on the stuff anyway, and would much rather do it myself. OK, if a scale part is impossible in plastic, or would melt with the cement due to being too thin, then there's a place for PE - but I haven't felt, or found the need for it yet. I'd rather make what's needed myself, and have the satisfaction of doing and completing the work, rather than throw a box load of someone else's pre-made, follow the instructions, join the dots and-you-don't-even-have- to-paint-it, metal bits into a model.

Hope that you'll get them wings sorted old boy, would hate for it to get to the point of another famous Michael Caine quote: "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

I agree there Paul! Personally, I'm not keen on the stuff anyway, and would much rather do it myself. OK, if a scale part is impossible in plastic, or would melt with the cement due to being too thin, then there's a place for PE - but I haven't felt, or found the need for it yet. I'd rather make what's needed myself, and have the satisfaction of doing and completing the work, rather than throw a box load of someone else's pre-made, follow the instructions, join the dots and-you-don't-even-have- to-paint-it, metal bits into a model.

I agree, but I think I'll warm up to PE more when I won't be able to see smaller details, by then I might not even make the cockpit, just join them together and paint :D hehe I hope my vision doesn't get too bad over the years

Vision isn't too much of a problem, although my knackered hands are. I just don't want to follow the path of 'I must have all the PE and Resin to make it good' thinking. A model can be good, even excellent, without all that nonsense - it wasn't around 30 years ago (and what was around wasn't allowed in some IPMS categories), so modellers did what they're supposed to do - they modelled, and didn't use ready-made parts to add to their own work. To me, that's not modelling - it's assembling.
OK, a bit different if it is an ocassional, large scale display model, where the PE is used as an addition when a part can not be physically made, but not for every model, all over the place, when, with a bit of thought and work, an acceptable job can be 'home made'.
Anyway, no work whatsoever has been done to the 'Fury this weekend. I'm afraid the hands are too stiff, and I'm too listless. Got the enthusiasm, but not the physical ability at the moment.
Hopefully, I'll get some more done soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back