**** DONE: 1/48 Hawker Sea Fury FBII, 807 NAS, 1951 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would just unplug the phone.. But in my case I flip the silent switch and put it in the other room.

I always put my fingers on my nose and slightly squeezing it and I answer " The phone number you have reached , has been disconnected." Then click....

Well, after more than a week of a mixture of terminal lethargy and stiff hands, I finally got back to work on this bl**dy wing fold.
I've now got all the 'extra' parts in place, and the metal parts cleaned up and attached, and I'm just about ready to attach the wings - or attempt to attach them, and hope my hands aren't too stiff when I come to do it tomorrow.
I have severe doubts about getting things aligned properly, as the angles are very awkward to work with, even if the model is lightly clamped to keep it steady. But, come tomorrow, I should know, one way or the other!
One thing for certain - if I ever do a wing fold again, I will definitely not be using a flimsy, PE set, I'll scratch-build the whole lot out of something more substantial!!
Hopefully, tomorrow, I'll have some pics of either folded wings - or a heap of shattered plastic - the lump hammer is nearby!!

Sorry chaps, no work done today. Felt a bit weary, went for a lie down and didn't wake up until 22.00 hrs! Should get some done tomorrow, so pics then if anything to show.

Don't know what's wrong with me, but I don't have any energy at the moment - once I eventually get to sleep (can be anytime in any given 24 hour period!), I can't seem to wake up again!
Think it must be the change from summer to autumn - or more correctly, from a prolonged autumn lasting 8 months, to the start of winter!
Anyway, I've allocated all afternoon and evening to get those bl**dy wings attached - I'm really hoping I can post pics later.

Thanks awfully old chap!
Well, I've just about ruined a pair of trousers and a lambswool sweater, but I've got one wing on !!!
The damaged clothes, and only one wing in place, are due to the 'superglue' I was trying to use. Although it's a freshly-opened tube (I normally use the stuff in a poly bottle), I've had it some time, and it's either 'gone off', or is just cr@p !
As soon as it came out of the tube, it started to gel, and this had a habit of falling off the pin I was using, unseen, until it started to dry, literally seconds later.
Yep, I got some on both trousers and sweater!
The main problem, however, was the inability of the glue to bond properly, as, when it starts to dry, it goes 'furry', and resembles a culture in a Petri dish!
I managed to get the port wing more or less in position, and left this, with the intention of fixing the other points in stages, whilst I attempted to position the starboard wing, in order to get the angles the same on both wings.
But, by this time, I realised the glue was useless, so stopped whilst the going was good, and cleaned-off the glue applied to the starboard hinges.
PIC 1. This furry mess is how a drop of glue looks, about 30 seconds after leaving the tube!
PIC 2. The port wing is in position, but still needs to be bent onto the front hinge, angled inward slightly more, and then glued, with new glue, which I hope to get tomorrow (Tuesday).
PIC 3. This view shows that the front hinge, and the plastic rod 'hydraulic ram', are not quite yet in contact. Also evident here is the rough appearance of the fold plates, which will be cleaned and re-painted once the wing is firmly attached, and the wiring and plumbing added.
PIC 4. The inward angle of the attached wing is more clearly seen here, but still needs to angle inboard a touch more. The very minimal contact surfaces on the hinge tops and the ammo chute on the starboard wing fold can be seen here - not a lot to glue to !
So, hopefully, if I can get some better 'superglue', I might be able to finish the port wing, and attach the starboard wing tomorrow. It would be better to use 2-part epoxy, but, due to the angle of the wings, and the effect of gravity, the slow drying time of epoxy adhesive doesn't lend itself to this application, and I will have to use CA adhesive.
Thanks for the well-wishes and continued interest, and I hope to be able to show the wings in place, if not tomorrow, then by Wednesday.

Attachments

• Sea Fury Build 135.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Sea Fury Build 143.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Sea Fury Build 142.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Sea Fury Build 148.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 76

Users who are viewing this thread