**** DONE: 1/48 Hellcat Mk. II - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Masked off the white areas, retouched the white, then sprayed some Future on to get sheen on the strips, and finally stripped all the tape again. Life is good. Pics when I get the decals started.

I saw the hint, in here I think, to mask over the white, spray a light coat of white along the edge BEFORE spraying the blue!
The White will then bleed under the tape preventing the blue doing the same!!!! Now how easy is this I ask??????
A DOH moment eh?

With the spurt to finish Cleo III and a recent head cold, I've not done much on this build. Gotta admit I'm finding myself not really "into" this particular build so am not giving it the attention it would normally get. The Hellcat was never one of my faves but it's an easy build, I had it in the stash, and it was a perfect fit for this GB so I decided to throw it in as a quick build.

Anyway, enough of the psychiatric session and on to a few shots of how it now sits:

All of the stencils have been applied. These turned out to be glossier than the semi-gloss dark blue so I had to go over each with a clear coat. I did not want to coat the whole model because I didn't want to ruin the current surface, which I rather like.

14020406.jpg

Although the gloss coat was slightly more matte than the surrounding paint, the difference was not noticeable enough for me to correct it. It's weird but you can really see it in the pictures but somehow the real thing does not look as bad.

Here's a close-up of the exhaust staining I applied using flat black in the airbrush. You can also see a few smoke stains behind the guns done the same way.

14020405.jpg

The Eduard masks that come with the kit do a stellar job:

14020407.jpg

Eduard's landing gear are models themselves. Each strut has 8 parts, including PE and excluding the brake lines, which I have yet to add. The covers were painted on the sprue so these need some touch up yet.

14020408.jpg

One thing I remembered from my earlier Hellcat build (the other half of this Dual Combo) was that the Eduard wheels are actually too thin if glued together OOB. I repeated the trick learned at that time and glued a doughnut-shaped plastic card spacer between the halves, seen here roughly trimmed and before sanding and finish painting. The thing to watch here is to make sure that the innards are painted black before mating the halves since you can see through the spokes.

14020404.jpg

That's it for now. Next shots should see a the finish of the landing gear and, not too long after, the whole model. I may yet add rockets to add some "nastiness" to the model as the two pics in post 1 show the mounting stubs for the HVARs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back