Yeah OK. I've read about that stuff and will watch for it.
Soooooo....precious little detail info out there on this bird. This is a model I wanted to depict as accurately as possible but the lack of solid info on the cockpit configuration is frustrating. Granted, much of the detail will be obscured through the glazing, the only unobstructed view being from underneath through the access hatch but even the larger stuff that will be seen seems to be controversial. I have found the closest relevant photo evidence to be in the Profile Publications #148 - The Ju88 Night Fighters by Alfred Price. There are no cockpit pics of a G-6, the precious few shown being from the captured G-1 "4R+UR" which was captured after inadvertently landing in England and a G-7 with a late experimental radar set. In Hartmann52's excellent build here:
http://ww2aircraft.net/forum/start-to-finish-builds/junkers-ju-88g-6-ju-88a-1-revell-aims-set-1-32-a-41134.html our old friend Erich points out that the radar equipment in the cockpit was moved from the forward facing position on the lower right of the instrument panel on the G-1 to a rearward facing position on the G-6. The kit includes the former location as well as a seat facing forward to view the radar display. All of Price's pictures show the forward facing position, including the G-7's but he keeps referring to these pics as the "radio operator's position" which was actually a different position facing aft. I have seen no pictures of a G-6 arrangement, though Erich maintains that some exist. If that's true, I would love to see them!!!!
Anyhoo, unless someone here can show me a definitive setup, I'm going to stick with the kit's arrangement. Here's what I've done so far:
The wing roots in the fuselage halves are annoyingly hollow and visible so these would have to be filled.
Here you see the void filled with Milliput, roughly I'll admit, though all I needed was for something to suggest that there is a continuation of the cockpit wall there. This area will be hidden from the top by the ammo box but will be somewhat visible from the open hatch.
The rear facing radio operator's seat once again displays a beautiful ejector pin mark which obviously had to be rectified.
To do that, I cut off the headrest so that I could get a file in there and then glued the rest back on. However, I then dropped the seat and the headrest went zinging off into oblivion and, after a 30 minute search, I accepted the fact that it has ended up in that mystery warehouse that stores Bermuda Triangle ships and missing socks. So I ended up making one out of styrene card and rod.
The seats were then assembled to the floor and some fiddley bit were added. I like the rudder pedals and brake cylinders but none of this will be visible! I therefore didn't bother with the hydraulic lines and left the ejector pin marks, which I now realize Dragon must have tried to include on every part.....
And finally, an initial spritz of RLM 66 has been applied to everything. I'll fix up the wing root filling a bit and will need to add some scratch built bulkheads and floors where there are now empty spaces. All that for the next installment.
Thanks for looking in.