**** DONE: 1/48 Ju88G-6 of 3/NJG 101 - Night War of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks everyone. Terry, I have references showing the pump to be located on the starboard wall on the A model. I'm not sure of the reason for the apparent move but there seemed to be some rearrangements done for the G. "Flugrichtung" = Flight direction.

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks Andy - I discovered this just after posting, by the simple expedient of looking at the Revell 1/32nd scale kit in my stash !
It has the pump and handle etc, to go on the lower starboard cockpit wall, included in the many cockpit detail parts, although the pipework and other parts on the lower, rear bulkhead are not included, as they are covered over, and the area used for MG 15 magazine storage, as is the starboard side of the rear bulkhead, where the ammo box is on the 'G'.
That diagram will be very useful for extra detail though.

Thanks guys. Today I finished off the pit and glued the tub together.

Planning ahead and to ensure that I would not get fit-up issues, I taped together the fuselage and cockpit halves to see how the parts lined up. It turned out that line up is pretty good so I decided to proceed with gluing the cockpit halves together and then attaching the finished assembly to the fuselage halves later. To facilitate this, I would leave a bit of a gap in the rear bulkhead to allow adjustment as the pit was slightly wider than the fuselage toward the top. More on that later.

16010301.jpg
16010302.jpg

A this point, I let my anal side take over and I plunged into adjusting the line-up of the radios to match the manual picture I posted earlier. The below series of pics shows the sequence, starting with how the part looked before surgery. Cuts were made to separate the 4 short and long wave receiver and transmitter boxes from the rest of the units and them everything was reattached in the new positions, using card where needed. The last pic shows the finished panel painted up.

16010303.jpg
16010304.jpg
16010305.jpg

Next, more detail was added to the pit. The gap at the front of the hatch behind the radar operator's seat was filled with a piece of card shaped to match the curvature of the fuselage and lightening holes were drilled in. I had no reference for this so used some artistic license here. Seat belts were added along with boxes on the seat backs that might or might not have been part of the shoulder belt attachments (artistic license again). I also had no idea how the lap belts worked on the body-formed pilot seat so speculated that the attachment points were on the inside. I didn't fuss too much about this since it will be hard to see anyway. I also ran out of PE belts for the R/O's seat so I made my own using tape and lead wire.

16010306.jpg
16010307.jpg

The IP was then installed and test fitted before gluing securely. Fit is very good with no needed adjustments. Also seen is the auxiliary control column which may or may not have been present on this aircraft (prove me wrong - please!). This was fashioned out of rod and lead wire at the grip.

16010308.jpg
16010309.jpg

Finally, satisfied that everything that could not be installed from the outside was now done, I glued the cockpit tub together. In this shot from the back, you can see that I filed a wedge-shaped gap into the rear bulkhead that will allow me to adjust the width of the fuselage at the top so that I don't get a step where it meets the fuselage.

16010310.jpg

Thanks once again for looking in. Tail wheel details next.

Cracking job on the interior! I'm taking notes on everything now, especially your experiences with the fuselage fit.

Finally, satisfied that everything that could not be installed from the outside was now done, I glued the cockpit tub together. In this shot from the back, you can see that I filed a wedge-shaped gap into the rear bulkhead that will allow me to adjust the width of the fuselage at the top so that I don't get a step where it meets the fuselage.

Did you factor in the small top fuselage piece that connects the back of the canopy to the top of the fuselage? Pinching in the cockpit tub per the wedge cut may give you fit problems on that top piece and how the top piece fits with the rest of the fuselage. I'm seeing a similar situation with mine and I'm thinking that a slight shaving of the cockpit sides (if any) is all of the adjustment I'll need. It's hard to say thought since dry-fitting is all a crapshoot with no positive location tabs. I'm about ready to glue my main fuselage halves together so I may just do that and try to establish a good fit around that.

The step was not that big and the piece behind the canopy was not far off either so, yes, I do anticipate some filing and sanding here but hopefully not much.

Thanks Hugh. Been pluggin' away at the rear wheel well. The 3 holes you see are for the horizontal stabs so I don't want to fill them. Rather, I will cut the pins on the stabs so they are flush with the inside surface.

16010501.jpg
16010502.jpg

Much more to do in here yet so stay tuned.

Great stuff Andy! Looks like you are going the extra step in this area. I tried as best as I could to detail the area but I'm on brand new ground... fabricating bulkheads and making them fit was a pain and took me forever! I'm thinking that the tail stab connection on the inside must be reinforced somehow and I wondered if the Revell 1/32 representation of spars through the tail well was just model engineering or based on the real thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back