**** DONE: 1/48 Ju88G-6 of 3/NJG 101 - Night War of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks gents. John, the spar going through the fuselage would be a typical construction in this area so I don't doubt something would be there. Just a matter of checking whether there were two, or one, and where. Stay tuned.

Research done....

As the Ju88G shared the Ju188 rear fuselage, I took a look at the manuals for the latter posted in our wonderful technical thread. Here`s a screen capture showing the two spars and bolting details for the horizontal stab which I`ll now set about replicating.

Capture.JPG

Looking forward to seeing the spar work! Man, what did modelers do for info before the internet? As that tail wheel bay gets cluttered by all that detail, take heed the triangular end of the retracting strut... it's meant to go into the hole at the top of the fuselage. I could no longer reach that hole due to the triangle so I had to do some trimming.

Looked after John, thanks. I've cut up the triangular piece already and it will fit into the base of the middle bulkhead nicely. Now trying to figure out that bit hanging off the front of the spar in the diagram. Looks like I'll need to remove the cover on the opening in the front bulkhead as there is apparently a linkage going through it. Will spend time in the O.R. tomorrow to progress this area.

So I learned something interesting reading, with my limited German, the section of the Ju188 manual from which that diagram above was copied. Part of what I love about this hobby is learning about the workings of my subjects and this is a good example. The front spar of the tailplane is linked to a crankshaft (the cylindrical part you see hanging below the spar) that is rotated via a lever connected to a hydraulic actuator. The rotation of this shaft varies the angle of incidence of the tailplane depending on the flight mode. In level flight, the tailplane is level, or at 0 degrees. When full landing flaps are selected, the actuator automatically moves the crank, raising the front of the tailplane up so that a -7 degree angle of incidence is created, which I assume is meant to counteract the nose pitching up when the flaps are fully deployed. The tailplane is hinged to a fixed point on the fuselage at the rear spar, enabling the slight rotation needed.

Cool!

So my scratch-built front spar will get a crankshaft and actuator link as well.

You are on a roll Andy! You probably know that view into the tail wheel well will be obscured somewhat by the landing gear struts so it may be difficult to see all of that beautiful work. That's never stopped fanatics like us so... forge on!

Yep, will temper the effort accordingly. Thought about this some more this morning and I may have my explanation wrong. I suppose the nos could also pitch down on full landing flaps and the tailplane compensate the other way but, either way, I get the purpose of the mechanism.

Thanks for stopping by Dave.

Work on the well continued today. First I painted the wells to represent the anodized aluminum finish evident on recovered Ju88s. For this, I sprayed a mix of equal parts of enamel gold and silver and then sprayed a VERY thin coat of olive green over that. I then built up the tailplane spars, painted them RLM02 and installed them at the locations matching the panel lines on the stabs. I then installed the fuel vent line which I discovered much too late should have been routed such that it misses the inside flange of the U-shaped bulkhead rather than going through it. The line is made up of 3 individual pieces of plastic rod.

16010801.jpg
16010802.jpg

Next came the tailplane incidence adjustment mechanism built up of rod, card, and lead wire.

16010803.jpg

The same after painting with RLM02:

16010804.jpg

I did not install the elevator actuator link nor the rudder cables as I think I have plenty in that hole now. I've now glued the fuselage halves together and will install the rest of the landing gear components after the clamps come off. Fortunately, this all can be done through the finished opening.

That's amazing work Andy! It really lends some authority to that tail wheel recess!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back