**** DONE: 1/48 LaGG 3 Series 11 - Winter War / Eastern War WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good. But the green colour doesn't look properly though. The lighter one looks a little bit too sandy. The second one should have been the Black one. According to my references LaGG-3s were painted at the period of time with AMT-4/A24M ( FS 24151 or 34102 and AMT-6/A26M ( FS 37038 ) on tops. So there weren't two green colours used. However it is said that the black AMT6 could be mixed with small amount of a green colour ( possible the AMT-4) what might have resulted in a greenish tinge of the black. In the pic below ( found in the net ) the camo of Mironov's kite looks quite shabby, especially for the black colour. But the difference between the black and green colours are still noticable. I would suggest having a look at the site Mironov's LaGG-3

Lavochkin-LaGG-3-609GvIAP-white-78-V.P.-Mironov-USSR-1942-06.jpg

Lavochkin-LaGG-3-609GvIAP-white-78-V.P.-Mironov-USSR-1942-03.jpg

Thanks Wurger for the link. I can see where I am off on the colours. I will attempt to correct the colour issue using some darker paints.

Just another reason to keep coming back here....lots of knowledge and lots of friendly assistance.

Cheers,

Jeff

My pleasure. :)

:thumbright: :thumbleft:

BTW.. here you are two the same shots of an origin piece of LaGG-3 covering. These can come in handy as well...

lagg3-fus-fin.jpg

LaGG-3 colours.jpg

Last edited:
:)

The demarcation line between colours is always a problem. However it is quite easy to understand. If we assume that the oversprayed ( soft ) line of one colour over the second was 1cm wide actually we get 1cm/48 = 0.0208333cm or 0.2083333mm for the 1/48 scale. In other words you would have to use an airbrush with the nozzle of 0.2mm diameter and set the thinnest colour stream if you would like to paint the line freehand. Virtually it is quite difficult to achieve the effect even with a such airbrush. Well... let's keep our heads cool.

Last edited:
:)

The demarcation line between colours is always a problem. However it is quite easy to understand. If we assume that the oversprayed ( soft ) line of one colour over the second was 1cm wide actually we get 1cm/48 = 0.0208333cm or 0.2083333mm for the 1/48 scale. In other words you would have to use an airbrush with the nozzle of 0.2mm diameter and set the thinnest colour stream if you would like to paint the line freehand. Virtually it is quite difficult to achieve the effect even with a such airbrush. Well... let's keep our heads cool.

UHH. if you say so:shock:

Cheers,

Jeff

IMG_0002.JPG

Okay, I have resprayed and think I have achieved a much more accurate match than what I had. Thanks again Wurger for your guidance.

Cheers,

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of these scratches are of the wood colour. The Russian primer for wooden parts was of a blue-grey ( FS36320 ) colour. However there was a primer of the yellow colour called ALG-1 ( FS 33481 ). Mostly it was used for protection of metal parts.. According to my knowledge there was a yellow nitroputty that had been applying on wooden surfaces before covering with fabric or a paint. So it can be the one. The sample of the ALG-1 primer is the first one in the diagram below.

1948-scan-alg.jpg

And here the next shots of the piece of the LaGG-3 fuselage. The wing in the background is of MiG-3. Anyway, the yellow primer ( putty ) can be noticed on both parts.

skrzyd1420okad1420ub_zps73d7f831.jpg

earlymig3wing_zpsa7376e83.jpg

Nope... it was a metal propeller WISz-61P.

white57f1.jpg

20090823_lagg3.2ygtkcp4vbsw8gcs0ccgkwc8w.ejcuplo1l0oo0sk8c40s8osc4.th.jpg

lagg_3.4f7ynpgbu5q88ggc8kcowg4kw.ejcuplo1l0oo0sk8c40s8osc4.th.jpg

lagg-3-4-50.jpg

luukk9.jpg

BTW.. I found the name of the yellowish nitroputty ... DD-113.

I have found , via the Internet , an interesting pic for you. Here is the first production LaGG-3 of the first series of the factory no.31 in 1941. Please, note the factory-fresh plane before applying of the camo colours. Undoubtedly the wooden parts were covered with something light. I would say the yellow nitroputty because there aren't seen the seams of the plywood sheets. As a result the wooden surfaces are very smooth and semi-matt.

LaGG-3 pierwszy seryjny.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back