**** DONE: 1/48 LaGG 3 Series 11 - Winter War / Eastern War WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Always good to have a plan B.

When life gives you lemons....make lemonade.

I expressed some concern about the decals and was advised that they could be a bit touchy and so they were. The red and black arrowhead decals that run from the nose to half way down the fuselage were a gong show. Multiple splits and cracks eventually lead me to throwing in the towel on them. Without them I cannot do the ship as planned so this is where Plan B comes into play.

Tomorrow morning I will be giving the green camo an overspray of white and transforming this ship into the other option that was available. I will also need to pop the top of the engine and replace it with a different one that was included with the kit. Propellor and spinner will also be replaced.

Disappointing as I was pleased with the way things were going and despite me being soooo careful with the decals it was not meant to be.

Cheers,

Jeff

You could do Finnish Lagg 3 ;) :D

Also there was a Japanese Lagg 3 as well....I better stop before I start to make one of these captured examples!! :D

The red-black arrow on the fuselage should be easy to paint with masks. Not too difficult to make methinks.

The red-black arrow on the fuselage should be easy to paint with masks. Not too difficult to make methinks.

For a very brief moment in time I thought of that and then reality set in. That is not something I would be comfortable trying at this point.

Anyhow, the white went on about half a hour ago so it is settled.

Cheers,

Jeff

Time for lunch and here is where she is at.

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

I attempted the use of sandpaper to weather the winter white. This is the first time trying this method and I figured this would be a good time so as to not spoil the green and black camo underneath. The canopy was given a rough coat of white as well over the black that was there.

I also tried a very light spray of watered down black to roughen up the look of the fuselage and wings and am reasonably pleased with the result.

Still have a few bits including the landing gear, landing light, drop tanks and antenna to attach.

Thats it for today.

Cheers,

Jeff

Looking great. But there is stilll a doubt whether the kite was white or silver. Looking at her image I would say it was silver.

Looking great. But there is stilll a doubt whether the kite was white or silver. Looking at her image I would say it was silver.

:lol: Wotjek you are cracking me up.Jeff is going to have more time in painting than building and ALL seams will be hidden :)

Looks good Jeff but I would clean up the canopy lines with the toothpicks you have it works good without marring the plastic ;)

:lol: Wotjek you are cracking me up.Jeff is going to have more time in painting than building and ALL seams will be hidden :)

It's OK. Just to let know that the Red 46 colours are still under discussing. The white overall camo is a possible alternative interpretation. Also it should be mentioned she was of series 1.

red46f1r.jpg

It's OK. Just to let know that the Red 46 colours are still under discussing. The white overall camo is a possible alternative interpretation. Also it should be mentioned she was of series 1.

red46f1r.jpg

No problem. I am just following (for the most part ) the colours that are indicated on the kit instructions. I know I am missing the lower rudder balance as she was cut off when I thought I was building the other machine.

Cheers,

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back