**** DONE: 1/48 Mistel 2 Fw190F-8 Ju88G-1 - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
1/48 Mistel 2 Fw190F-8 Ju88G-1 HEAVY Hitters II

Username: Wayne Little
First name: Wayne
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale/Kit: 1/48 Dragon Master Series
Extras : AIMS Decals

Mistel-2 Fw180F-8 with Ju88G-1 "Red 12" flown by Rudi Riedl of 6/KG200 At Tirstrup, Denmark, in Feb 1945.

Always wanted to do a MISTEL combo, but it just never seemed to be the right time to build one, well GB18 has provided the spark so here we go.
This particular Mistel S2 had the Cockpit removed from the Ju88 and it was replaced with one of the rather large extended Contact warheads.
I initially started the process based on the longer extended Warhead as per the AIMS decal sheet, then obtained from Jim (Capt. Vic, Thanks mate!) some scanned images from the Classic Publications 'Mistel' Book.
After giving these a long hard look I am of the opinion that the Warhead is the shorter broader based Warhead without the angled base and clearly the contact fuse head is not extended.
Also the Fw190 is an F-8 as the photo from the front shows the 2 small bomb racks under the port wing!

Reference Photo's source : Mistel Operations Classic Publications by Robert Forsyth

Attachments

• Dragon Mistel Combo.jpg
    Dragon Mistel Combo.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 321
  • BW-photo-Junkers-Ju-88G-Mistel-6_KG200-(R12)-Riedel-Tirtrup-1945-01.jpg
    BW-photo-Junkers-Ju-88G-Mistel-6_KG200-(R12)-Riedel-Tirtrup-1945-01.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 725
  • Mistel S2_Red 12_c.jpg
    Mistel S2_Red 12_c.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 333
  • Mistel S2_Red 12_d.jpg
    Mistel S2_Red 12_d.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 311
Last edited by a moderator:
Going to be interesting. Wayne, I've got several photos if you want them. Like the ones shown here, not the best quality but there is some detail shown. They are from the book "Mistel, The Piggy-back Aircraft of the Luftwaffe"

Geo

Excellent. Somebody else awhile back had done one, I remember as he created the nose section by making a mold and casting it.

I can't wait to see what you do with this one!

Thanks guys, looking forward to doing it, got some done today, will add some pics tomorrow....and Geo, thanks for the offer but a realised a few days ago I had that book, took some finding though...

Mind those upward firing guns on the '190, sport! :lol:

Let you in on a secret Jan, there are NO upward firing guns on the 190, some goose didn't look hard enough and notice the exceptionally long boarding ladder is actually the culprit!

Ok, on to some initial construction, the warhead attachment section to the fuselage with the rear end of the explosive charge.

Attachments

• Mistel Combo with Ladder_5153.jpg
    Mistel Combo with Ladder_5153.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 243
  • 1_Warhead Section_5092.jpg
    1_Warhead Section_5092.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 251
  • 2_Warhead Section_5164.jpg
    2_Warhead Section_5164.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 228
  • 3_Warhead section_5165.jpg
    3_Warhead section_5165.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 239
  • 4_Warhead section_5166.jpg
    4_Warhead section_5166.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Hope so Glenn....

Now like I said earlier, the kit and profile for this bird shows one particular warhead shape but after some observation I think it is the same one seen on a few other mistel combinations without the angled base at the warhead.
So i am going with what I think is correct on this one...

See the few images so you can see what I mean...

Details from the Classic Publications Mistel book.

first the original and revised profile and plan views showing the angled base and the shape without the angled base (Red Outline)

Then the Photo closeup of the nose area and the 2 angle images of the nose areas of the 2 warheads., whilst not definitive I am more comfortable with my conclusion than the evidence so far available...

Attachments

• Mistel Warhead Original_Small.jpg
    Mistel Warhead Original_Small.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 375
  • Mistel Warhead Modification_a_small.jpg
    Mistel Warhead Modification_a_small.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 266
  • Warhead Drawing_b.jpg
    Warhead Drawing_b.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 269
  • Warhead Drawing_bb.jpg
    Warhead Drawing_bb.jpg