**** DONE: 1/48 P-47M - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dayum, Andy! That engine is a work of art in and of itself! I am knocked out with that detail work. Damnit, I am not sure I have time to detail out BOTH engines on the '25......
Dale

I do like the P&W nameplate. The link I sent you,you probably have it already,but just in case,it might be of use for someone else

Nice work Andy,

Looking forward to seeing your work with Aclad. I had a read through of prem's link to Alcad Finishing. The article specifies enamel black gloss as the base coat but I have also read that Tamiya's gloss black also works very well.

Gloss black is not necessary unless you want a real mirror-like finish, something I'm not striving for. I'll be using Tamiya grey primer which is lacquer based. The problem with other Tamiya paints is that they are acrylic and not something I want to apply the lacquer based Alclad over. Another article I've read says it is possible to apply Alclad over acrylic if you apply it in thin coats but that this can go south really fast. I don't find it necessary to take that risk so will stick with the lacquer primer.

Gloss black is not necessary unless you want a real mirror-like finish, something I'm not striving for. I'll be using Tamiya grey primer which is lacquer based. The problem with other Tamiya paints is that they are acrylic and not something I want to apply the lacquer based Alclad over. Another article I've read says it is possible to apply Alclad over acrylic if you apply it in thin coats but that this can go south really fast. I don't find it necessary to take that risk so will stick with the lacquer primer.

Interesting comments. I have never used Alcad though I have a couple of bottles in my paint inventory. So it sounds like in your view its a really safe bet to use a lacquer based undercoat/primer for Alclad. I will keep this in mind I know you can also thin Tamiya acrylics with their Lacquer thinner and they work quite well. I wonder if this would make it more of a lacquer based paint at this point.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Dave, that's possible but, like i said, I'm not taking the chance.

I've now primed the undersides and wing leading edges and, amazingly, found no blemishes that I thought needed attention so I'll let this set overnight, give it a light buff, and then squirt on some NMF tomorrow. I'll be using 3 different shades of aluminum Alclad to accentuate some of the different panels and will see how it goes.

13111601.jpg

13111602.jpg

Good luck with that, I will be using Alclad 2 shortly on my P47d,and if all goes as planned,then I will do one of my B25's. Looking forward to comments on this step.

Me too.

On the subject of primer. Is there an acrylic primer in a rattle can?????

I think that Tamiya's rattle can primers are acrylics. Humbrol do an acrylic rattle can primer as well. You could also check in your local Supercheap Auto - in UK our equivalent, Halfords, sells auto primers which are acrylics and well suited to model making (and cheaper than Tamiya!)

Spent a good part of the day getting the Alclad on. This is my first try using Alclad on a larger surface and I guess I'm satisfied with the result. There are sections where the primer "dusted" a bit and the finish didn't turn out as smooth as it could have. This was especially true in the corners of the pylons and in places where it was difficult to sand the primer down. I did sand down the Alclad with 2000 grit wet paper and this helped a bit I guess the gloss primer would be better after all. Anyway, here's the sequence of the application.

This was the result after the first coat was sanded down and a second light coat of Aluminum 101 was applied.

13111701.jpg

13111702.jpg

13111703.jpg

After allowing this to cure for several hours, I masked off selected panels and the control surfaces and applied Duralumin 102, then again with some Dark Aluminum 103. These shades had the nice subtle variations that I was looking for but unfortunately the tonal differences are not picked up well in the pictures.

13111704.jpg

13111705.jpg

Also painted in these sessions were the fin extension and the canopy framing which were applied without primer.

13111706.jpg

13111707.jpg

I also did the sliding hood and two of the drop tanks but did not include pics at this time. Next will be the light blue areas of the upper camo which hopefully I'll get to soon. Thanks for checking in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back