**** DONE: 1/48 PBY-5A - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Merci, mes amis. Innards are almost done and then the next step is to add the windows. Why, why, oh,why do some model companies insist on doing this so early in the build. I've built other models with the windows added after the paint and it worked very well. Anyhoo, rant over. Next problem, how to get the fuselage halves off the sprues with minimal damage as some of the attachment point are quite large. With the halves being this large, it is easier to remove the part with wire clippers just above the attachment point and then saw or cut them off with a scalpel.

004.JPG

The next problem will be inside the halves. It won't be as bad as Vic's build as he was going to show off the interior. As mine is going to be a dangler, I will just deal with the ones that prominently stand out during the build.

003.JPG

Just waiting for a few more parts to dry and then the cockpit area will be done. The front turret floor...

005.JPG

Seats attached...

009.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
Thankee. Cockpit is complete and now working on the rear gunners station. Prepped and painted the fuselage innards.

004.JPG
006.JPG

Lawdy, this mother is big. Not just the parts but in trying to remove the parts from the trees, I nearly cleaned off my table maneuvering the sprues around.

Geo

Yea, I don't sleep anyhow so who needs a bedroom. :rolleyes: First coat of Future™ is on the small windows that need to be installed before the fuselage halves are joined. I'm going to put two coats on and then super glue those suckers in so there's no chance of them popping out during handling. Done now is the rear gunners station...

003.JPG
005.JPG

...the little sticky uppy thing on the left bulkhead is an antenna mast, destined to be removed, unceremoniously during the remainder of the build. Good one, Revell. Also before the fuselage gets bolted together is the need to add 7 freakin' antenna holes per side as I didn't know these freakin' antenna existed until I looked at the freakin' decal instructions and verified it with the freakin' photo posted on freakin' Page 1 and cross freakin' referenced with this freakin' photo...

pby side antenna.JPG

...anyhoo, not sure yet how I'm going to accomplish this but I'm pretty sure it's going to consume the rest of the build time.

Geo

Last edited:
Sweeeeeet work :D Agree 100% Modellers need no sleep :D

I find I do my best work (sometimes worst! argh :D) when sleep deprived hehehehe :)

Thanks Wojtek and Igor. This will be attempt #1. I'll call the project, "Attempt #1" followed closely by "Attempt #2, Attempt #3, ad nauseum". I'm going to use 1mm rod for the main beam{A}(Sorry, airfoil shape is not gonna happen chaps) and 2lb test fishing line for the whiskers{B}. For the small support arm and base, I'll use 1mm strip{7} { ♋ }.

007.JPG

Untitled1.jpg

Geo

Last edited:
I've been searching for Aeroclub Strutz but to no avail. The owner passed away a few years ago, the site is down and every other site I've searched is asking the same questions. Does anyone know of said stock and if so, I'm thinking 1/72 would work.

Geo

Geo , take a longer piece of a sprue and warm it up above a burning candel. When it's very soft stretch it . You can make sticks of many different diameters including sticks of the hairbreadth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back