**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire IXc - Defense of Britain/Atlantic. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JKim

Senior Master Sergeant
Jul 1, 2014
Carlsbad, CA
Username: JKim
First name: John
Category: Advanced
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Eduard
Model Type: Spitfire Mark IXc (Late) - Profipack Edition
Aftermarket addons: OOB but the Profipack Edition comes with photoetched parts and canopy masks

EDU8281-SchemeWX-D.jpg

MH712%20WX-D.jpg

SpitfireLFIXcWXDPatMH712.jpg

Pat1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_8842_zpsev4bdpdi.jpg

The kit arrived in the post yesterday. Although I have not had the time to start this build, I did get a chance to look at the kit and take some pics of the sprues. There is some question as to whether MH712 (depicted on the box art) qualifies for this GB. Hopefully, the judges will rule in favor but if not, I will have to evaluate my choices... I've grown partial to his particular aircraft including that pointy tail fin!

The clear parts come in the Eduardian circle sprue. The canopy (two version: open and closed) looks nice and thin with the frames showing a subtle matt texture.
IMG_8843_zpsokr2xi0v.jpg

IMG_8845_zps1qonq9s0.jpg

Not including the clear parts, the kit comes with four sprues of dark grey plastic. Molding is VERY fine. The first thing I noticed are the numerous fine rivets on the fuselage. Based on pictures of finished builds, the rivet effect is quite subtle and not as heavy handed as, say, a Trumpeter kit. One of few complaints regarding this kit shows up on the fuselage sprue... the upper cowling is divided into two parts when molding it into a single part would've been quite simple to do and would've eliminated the obvious seam.
IMG_8848_zpsayxx9yde.jpg

IMG_8849_zps907bkzq6.jpg

The wings are similarly detailed with very subtle recessed panel lines and rivets. The wings come sans wing tips to accommodate different versions.
IMG_8850_zpspvghxfak.jpg

IMG_8851_zpsodrmyxen.jpg

This sprue contains most of the cockpit components. The molding here is good but not state of the art. As you can see from the closeup of the side panel, the detailing is a bit flat and soft. I counted some 50 parts (plastic and PE) for the cockpit assembly alone so it should build up into a quite acceptable looking office, especially considering the small fuselage opening... I may have to build this with the canopy and door open.
IMG_8852_zpsgkvdxd2n.jpg

IMG_8853_zpslluo1lud.jpg

The bomb rack bracing is impressively fine. The circular bomb fins are on the thick side and will have to be thinned if the bombs are used. A molded instrument panel and decal are provided, giving the modeler the choice between this and a nicely detailed PE instrument panel.
IMG_8855_zps7gmgfb9h.jpg

IMG_8856_zpsxsxeyevo.jpg

The fourth sprue contains some exterior details including the four-bladed prop, spinner, and two sets of exhaust pipes, round and fishtail. The exhaust pipes deserve a mention of their own. They are exquisitely molded and feature hollow openings! First time I've seen this on a set of injection molded exhaust stacks... makes you re-think what is possible from these progressive model making companies!
IMG_8857_zps2euslch3.jpg

IMG_8858_zpsqcv4j4mf.jpg

IMG_8859_zpsk6da87j4.jpg

Wheel hubs are molded separately from the tires, which makes painting that much easier. Two hubs are provided: four-hole and five-hole versions.
IMG_8860_zpszi0ejioz.jpg

The wing cannons unfortunately do not break new ground like the exhausts and feature solid barrel ends. These will need to be hollowed out manually.
IMG_8861_zpss2veqy9x.jpg

The Profipack edition includes a sheet of photoetched parts. The most significant inclusions here are the multi-part instrument panel and a set of seat harnesses. My only complaint here is that distracting fabric-like texture on the black instrument panel. I've had some success in the past toning that bumpiness down by applying a flat coat.
IMG_8862_zpsst3msg3p.jpg

The decals are provided on two sheets. One is for the individual aircraft markings. Markings are provided for six aircraft. A separate decal sheet is provided for the stenciling.
IMG_8863_zpsam5ubzng.jpg

IMG_8864_zpskph1vm0f.jpg

The instructions are your typical Eduard glossy color sheets... superb!
IMG_8865_zpsfuae91hi.jpg

IMG_8866_zpszacwtz7n.jpg

Hey, where are the canopy masks? Hopefully, I just forgot to take a picture of them and are lurking somewhere in the box! Looking forward to starting on this one soon!

Last edited:
Nice John. I notice a few oddities in photo 2 3, patch on the fuselage roundel and it looks like a replacement rudder, oddball enough for me.

Geo

Nice John. I notice a few oddities in photo 2 3, patch on the fuselage roundel and it looks like a replacement rudder, oddball enough for me.

Geo

I think the patch on the fuselage roudel is for covering of the slot for the antenna wire of the old IFF system. It is possible the IFF one was replaced with the newer version with the antenna under the starboard wing. Also please notice the MH712 was the LF variant of the Mk.IX but with no cropped wing tips. As far as the rudder is concerned.. it doesn't seem to be taken from another plane. Just the spot of the DG colour at its top seems to follow on from the DG spot on the fuselage. I would say there was something done to the area of the fin just above the fin flash only. But it might be the light trick we can notice at the fin root as well. However we can't exclude the rudder was repainted or refreshed for some reason. It is very likely because the demarcation line between the DG and OG colours is sharp there.
Additionally , please make a focus on the lack of the top fuselage navigation lamp. And there was a small black serial repeated at both sides of the fin top.

And here is a profile found via the net. This is a Kagero rendition published in TopColors no.15 as memo serves.

KageroTC15.jpg

The profile source: Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX Special Edition (15015) - Supermarine Spitfire SIG

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Eager to start on this one but it is still enroute. Your comments have been noted:

1. Patch on the port fuselage roundel - Thanks Geo!
2. Possible camo break on rudder - Thanks Geo and Wojtek!
3. No navigation light on top of fuse - Thanks Wojtek!
4. Small black serial numbers on top of tail fin - Thanks Wojtek!

The Kagero profile shows no invasion stripes on the wings and I've read this is the case so I'll be doing the stripes on the bottom of the fuselage only.

One thing that puzzles me is: Who Piloted MH712 aka "Pat"? Most sources lists a Warrant Officer Henryk Dygala but I've come across one web page (PolishSquadronRemembered.com) that says the pilot below was F/Sgt Celak.

MH712%20WX-D.jpg

Nice choice, and a great kit from what I've seen - I must get one some day.

Although it was my first thought, I'm not sure about the 'patch' on the fuselage roundel being the lead-in 'button' for the old, wire, IFF. This was normally positioned further aft, and would be either at the extreme rear edge of the white ring of the roundel, or just inside the blue, depending on which factory built it, and then painted the roundel. Those aircraft from CBAF, for example, had the fuselage roundel in a slightly different location to other production outlets.
As for the pilot, it's likely the aircraft was shared between pilots, with an establishment of around 24 pilots, and 18 - 22 (operational) aircraft on Squadrons at that time.
As the AEAF stripes are on the under-fuselage only, this would date the period at around late July or early August 1944 onwards, when the Squadron was based in France.
As 302 Sqn became part of 2 TAF in June 1944, if modelled as shown, then I'm afraid there are doubts about it qualifying for the 'Defence of Britain / Atlantic'.
However, let's see what the other judges think.

Thanks Terry! Positive reviews of this kit DID make the choice a little easier.

As far as qualifying for this GB, I'll definitely defer to the judges on this. I'm partial to this particular aircraft due to the nose art and poignant history of the Poles flying for the Allies but there are decal options that can be exercised if necessary. I was under the assumption that service over the coast of Normandy in the latter half of '44 would qualify No. 302 Squadron for "Defense of Britain and the Atlantic".

Here's your bird's history....

john.JPG

Abbrs: 39 Maintenance Unit
317Squadron
FACB Flying Accident...Cat C: Beyond the unit's capacity to repair Cat B:Repairable at a Maintenance Unit.
AST Air Service Training.
84 Ground Support Unit
302 Squadron
CAC: Not sure of this one. Nearest I could find was Coast Artillery Co-operation
411 RSU Repair Salvage Unit
Recat E: Write off

Geo

Last edited:

One thing that puzzles me is: Who Piloted MH712 aka "Pat"? Most sources lists a Warrant Officer Henryk Dygala but I've come across one web page (PolishSquadronRemembered.com) that says the pilot below was F/Sgt Celak.

The Kagero book say the pilot was W/O Henryk Dygala but as Terry says, more than one pilot could use the aircraft. I'll see if I can find a photo of the aircraft without invasion stripes.

Geo

The scheme is late 1944 with 2nd TAF on the offensive across Europe. Though I'd love to see this built, I would agree with Terry that it does not fit the GB theme.

Not to be argumentative but I'm not sure I understand the disqualification. The GB description states, "Defense of Britain from the phony war to the 'D' Day landings in 1944 including Invasion Stripes." The Eduard instructions state of MH712, "Polish No.302 Squadron was one of the units that participated in the invasion of Normandy in June, 1944, as can be deduced from the D-Day stripes painted on the lower sides of fuselage and wings." The Polish Squadrons Remembered site says of No. 302 Squadron, "On D-Day (June 6) the 302 flew four full strength patrols over the Allies landings in Normandy." If MH712 flew over Normandy on D-Day, doesn't it qualify for this build?

John, bear with us whilst we clarify a few things.
I've asked the other judges for their opinions, and I've also posted a request for a clarification, in the 'GB Thoughts' thread, as the GB title (or at least the time span) is obviously quite confusing, especially the reference to " up to D-Day including D-Day stripes".
If the GB is to include up to D-Day, then that would mean aircraft in full AEAF stripes - by mid-July, the stripes were removed from the upper wings and fuselage, and by mid to late August, only the lower fuselage carried the stripes.
As it stands, although the Squadron were operational over Normandy on D-Day itself, but as part of 2 TAF, on the offensive, the photos and profile show the aircraft as it would have appeared after D-Day, in late July or August, or perhaps even later, still operational as part of 2 TAF.
The aircraft's history also suggests that it was not on strength before the Squadron transferred from Fighter Command (which became Air Defence Great Britain - ADGB) to 2 TAF, so you can probably see where the doubts arise.
However, let's see what the outcome is, after the judges have conferred, and after some clarification on the subject in general.
Should you require info on which units were in 2 TAF, and which in ADGB, prior to D-Day, let me know, and I'll post the info.

Thanks Terry! I am willing to apply the invasion stripes on the bottoms of the wings to match the description in the Eduard painting instructions of MH712. Or leave the stripes off completely to show the plane pre-invasion when the No. 302 unit was stationed in Sussex.

Still waiting the judges' decision on whether this plane qualifies for this but I'll be starting on her soon. The masks turned out to be missing after all, which was a surprise given how well Eduard packages its kit. But I've already gotten a response from Eduard after I shot a quick email via their website support and it looks like a replacement mask sheet is on its way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back