**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire IXc - Defense of Britain/Atlantic.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would agree with that.
If you've read my posts in the 'GB Thoughts' thread, you'll see that I'm as much in the dark as anyone, concerning what is meant by "up to D-Day, including Invasion Stripes".
If the model is completed without stripes, prior to D-Day, or as it appeared on D-Day, then that would be in the period suggested by the GB title. The only doubt I'd then have, would be the fact that this Squadron was part of 2 TAF, and therefore, technically, not 'in Defence'.
However, as the aircraft (and Squadron) were based in the UK prior to the post D-Day move to France, then it could be available for defence, so in that respect it could qualify !
If the other judges agree, and there's no objection from other members, then I'm OK with that in this instance.

Ok, here's a start although it's just a very small step! The instrument panel has been assembled using three overlaying P.E. parts glued onto a plastic backing. The shiny fabric-like texture of the Eduard IP has always been a bother for me.
IMG_8903_zpsfmonaawt.jpg

I gave the IP a spray of Alclad Flat to reduce the texture and it evens it out nicely. The IP dials are then given drops of Future to give the dials a shiny finish to simulate glass lenses.
IMG_8904_zpsuhf3iyfj.jpg

IMG_8905_zpslrxwy13p.jpg

I think I'll have some time this weekend to put in a little more work on the office so hopefully another update in a couple of days.

Inching along slowly now. The gun sight is supplied as two clear parts, one for the sight body and one for the reflector glass. These were masked off and painted. I used a drop of Micro Mask to mask off the optical glass on top of the gun sight body and then topped it off with a small drop of Future.
IMG_8915_zpsmurmrgnw.jpg

The compass is three parts: the shelf, which glues to the back of the IP bulkhead, the body of the compass and a P.E. part for the compass face. These were painted separately and assembled after painting. Again, I topped of the face of the compass with a drop of Future. Some wiring was added to the IP bulkhead and then painted. Everything was glued together and the instrument panel sub-assembly is finished.
IMG_8918_zpsgif0b9nt.jpg

IMG_8919_zpsmz26mf2s.jpg

IMG_8921_zpsrohrtet9.jpg

IMG_8920_zpsfqzlaqdt.jpg

The cockpit is a very complex affair and one can make a pretty convincing office out of the box without splurging on aftermarket upgrades.

Excellent John !
The gun sight may be bit precarious, and open to damage though, unless you fit and mask the canopy of course.
One minor point, if it's not too late - that 'button' on the bottom (green) frame, second in, directly below the line of the yellow oil pressure gauge, is the 'Ki-Gas' primer pump knob, which was brass. It might be the lighting, but it appears to be red in your photos.
Also, the main body of the compass was normally a mid-grey colour.

Looking good there John, I was looking to do the late Spit (Same kit) but I think this is all Spit out, that just me. Some would say you can never have to many Spits but Hey. I'll be watching as I do have the late and may yet give into the urge.

Excellent John !
The gun sight may be bit precarious, and open to damage though, unless you fit and mask the canopy of course.
One minor point, if it's not too late - that 'button' on the bottom (green) frame, second in, directly below the line of the yellow oil pressure gauge, is the 'Ki-Gas' primer pump knob, which was brass. It might be the lighting, but it appears to be red in your photos.
Also, the main body of the compass was normally a mid-grey colour.

Thanks for the specific color tips! I don't have a wealth of Spitfire references to draw from so my accuracy in the office will not be spot-on, unfortunately. The red button can be corrected to brass pretty easily, I think, but I'm going to leave the compass body alone. The black was based on the color call out in the instructions.

John, I have a collection of excellent colour pics of a superb restoration of a Mk V Spit. The Mk IX is very similar. I'll post here a pic of what Terry is talking about but if you need any more, just shout.

06es09_031-640x456.jpg

No problem John, the edges of the compass can't even be seen in 1/32nd scale, let alone 1/48th scale, once the cockpit is enclosed in the fuselage.
Great reference pic Andy - but damn ! It's reminded me I forgot to make and add the fuel selector switch panel on my MkV, even though I'd made a note to do so !
Ah well, too late now, and it would be hardy to see anyway - honest !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back