**** DONE: 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire 1 - Defense of Britain/Atlantic.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the kind words everyone, appreciated. Continuing on.....

Over the past weekend I put on the gloss coats and applied the stencil decals and 234 Squadron logo on the cockpit door. Everthing went relatively smoothly with the results you see here. I'm not sure the aircraft had a gas patch, but I applied one on the port wing, as it was included with the airfix decals. The Airfix decals were a little on the thick side and were a little difficult to bed down without silvering. The serials I obtained from the Xtradecals set and I had to trim them to fit around the letter A on the starboard side.

Some more detail work to come over the next few days, with the next step to add another gloss coat to seal in the decals.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• Dscf0936.jpg
    Dscf0936.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Dscf0937.jpg
    Dscf0937.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Dscf0933.jpg
    Dscf0933.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 134
  • Dscf0930.jpg
    Dscf0930.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Dscf0931.jpg
    Dscf0931.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 124
Looking great with the decals! What do you guys use for decal solvents? I only have experience with Microset/Microsol but I'll occasionally run into some decals that seem impervious to these despite multiple applications.

Looks good Peter.

I use Solvaset John. Bought a bottle 10 years ago and it's not been used up yet. I heard it's more aggressive than your stuff and have learned to not let it sit too long on the decal. But yes, if that doesn't work, likely nothing will.

Sweet Peter. John, I have Solvaset, Microset/sol, Testors and Polyscale. I use the last three first and the Solvaset on the more stubborn decals.

Geo

I'm using Mr Setter and Mr Softener. It works. I have used just my future substitiute now and again when the decals are thin and are in danger of dissolving completely or breaking up with Mr Softener. Xtradecals dont take kindly to Mr Softener for example. :violent1: Looking at posts on another forum, there is talk of using a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. Anybody tried this?

Thanks guys!

Okay in the home stretch now. I few more bits and pieces to do, final assembly, matt coat and detailing. Here is todays progress.

Pic 1 2
Here the wheels being done 'rubber black' with aluminium hubs. I've assembled and detailed the hubs with a wash. The tyres have also received a greenish tinge around the circumference due to 234 operating from Middle Wallop airfield, a grass airfield during the battle of Britain.

Pic 3
I've been busy finishing and detailing the smaller parts like masts and tail wheel whilst still on the sprue. They are ready to go now.

Pic 4 - 7
Another detail I've added is the undercarriage down wing indicators. On the earlier spirfires these poked through the upper skin of the wing when the undercarriage was down as a visiual indicator that the undercarriage had in fact been lowered. There was of course a guage on the cockpit panel that did a similar job, but I guess these were not fully trusted inthe early years. Here you can see a contempory pic, system diagram, the indicator on a restored Spitfire, and my effort made from brass rod and painted red.

Pic 8-9
I also had a go and added the exhaust staining both sides of the fuselage. It extends along the fuselage to patially obsure the code 'Q' and the lower section of the roundel. I also added a wash around the fuel filler and fuel tank cover. I did not go overboard, as the aircraft did only last three weeks! I added some muzzle blast lightly across the top of the wing, and....

Pic 10
On the lower wing, but mainly streaming from the ejector ports, as this seems to be the heaviest area, probably from the oiled up guns as can be seen on the pics of AZ-H posted earlier.

Attachments

• Dscf0981.jpg
    Dscf0981.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Dscf0984.jpg
    Dscf0984.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Dscf0986.jpg
    Dscf0986.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Dscf1119.jpg
    Dscf1119.jpg