**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire IXc - Defense of Britain/Atlantic.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice work there John, it's really looking the biz.
You asked about a matt clear coat - I used to mix 'Future' with Tamiya Flat Base, but after problems with the 'Future', I now do the same thing with Humbrol 'Clear'.
Add the Flat Base and stir thoroughly, then test on a suitable piece of scra, using a paint brush, and let it dry - it should only take around 15 minutes at max to show how it will look.
If there's too much Flat Base, it wlll look chalky or cloudy, with a greyish tinge, so just add more 'Clear'. If it's not matt enough, add a touch more FB and so on.
It takes a little experimenting, but anything between semi-gloss to full matt can be achieved by this method, and it should spray very well.
Hope this helps.

Thanks guys! A little more progress on Spitfire. Now that the clear coat has dried, I fixed the fin flash by painting the missing red portion. I also painted a little square on the port roundel per the archive pictures of MH712 but it hardly showed up (I matched the red too well).
IMG_9187_zpsx4sk140d.jpg

I gave the model a pastel wash (black on the top and a dark brown on the bottom). I've not had the chance to try any new clear coats so I crossed my fingers and went with what I had. For the flat coat, I used a 50/50 mixture of Alclad Matt and Alclad Gloss.
IMG_9188_zpslqdhi0tz.jpg

IMG_9189_zpsz4r9mfzv.jpg

IMG_9190_zpskzv5mczw.jpg

Weathering Part 2 is next...

Thanks guys! I checked the flat coat this morning and it seemed to be fully cured (not tacky at all). The 50/50 ratio gave me a little more shine than intended so I may change that to get a flatter final finish.

After a second round of weathering, the model is sprayed with a final flat coat. I upped the flat/gloss ratio on this coat to get rid of that bit of shine on the last coat. Once that is done, it is just a matter of cobbling together all of the bits and pieces (landing gear, prop, antennas, etc.). The exhausts can finally be added.
IMG_9191_zpserktryzo.jpg

Final touchups include dry pastels brushed in random locations. Additional painting chipping was done using a silver pencil for the first time (seems like a good method). Ok... I am done with this one! Here are some pictures. I'll post the official finished pictures soon.
JTK_8409_zps5iigh2qf.jpg

JTK_8415_zpsblhfgup0.jpg

JTK_8417_zpsvfmurqiy.jpg

JTK_8451_zpsg9awvxf7.jpg

JTK_8458_zpssdm8unms.jpg

JTK_8447_zpsj5sbeuyo.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back