**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk XII - OOB (Out of Box) unofficial GB-2015.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Will get on a coat of Ocean Grey soon. It seems from pictures that it is the earlier lighter version so I may cut it with a few drops of white.

Part way through painting now (pics soon) but in the meantime, I was just checking the one pic I have of this aircraft and noted that the windscreen framing seems to be a lighter colour. I would have expected it to be dark green per the fuselage in this area. The sliding canopy seems to be dark green though even the front frame could be lighter. Any ideas?

detail.jpg

So here's the progression of the camo. After applying some Tamiya Ocean Grey, which I lightened slightly with white, I proceeded with the worm technique to mask for the Dark Green.

15031601.jpg

I decided to complete the green in sections rather than mask and paint everything at once as the model is a pain to handle with all the worms on it. Eventually, I got it all done and here's how it looks right now.

15031602.jpg
15031603.jpg

Truth be told, I got tired of applying the worms and did about half of it free hand. I don't think I'll leave it like that though as close inspection does show a slight difference in the finished edges. I'll address that when I get my mind set on more masking.

Part way through painting now (pics soon) but in the meantime, I was just checking the one pic I have of this aircraft and noted that the windscreen framing seems to be a lighter colour. I would have expected it to be dark green per the fuselage in this area. The sliding canopy seems to be dark green though even the front frame could be lighter. Any ideas?

View attachment 287478

Maybe NMF (windscreen replaced and unpainted) ? I sometimes saw this kind of things on some photos...
8)

I think it is a matter of light and the paint. Have look at these pics below... undoubtedly these windscreens were of the RAF Dark Green paint but...

Spitfire MkXII EB_Z MB8542_b.jpg

Spitfire DP845.jpg

Nice work on the camouflage Andy - but I'd see a Doctor about the worms !
I agree regarding the windscreen, I think it's a trick of the light - I looked at all the pics I have of the MkXII and couldn't see a lighter-colured 'screen on any of them.

After some minor touch ups, I sprayed the model with Future:

15032202.jpg

15032203.jpg

The landing gear and tires were painted and assembled. I didn't even have an adverse reaction to ignoring the brake lines! Flattened tires are provided with the Airfix kit - a nice touch.

15032201.jpg

15032204.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back