**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk XII - OOB (Out of Box) unofficial GB-2015. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK class, let's focus!

Did a stint of quick building over a lunch hour and got some cockpit stuff done. The landing gear control on the starboard cockpit wall has since been removed after I realized, despite the simplicity and clarity of the instructions, that it needs to go OVER the separate frame supplied on the section with the stick and instrument panel. I also got a bit carried away and realized that I increased my workload for painting the instruments by gluing all this stuff together first. No matter as I can still get at most of it and, besides, I've decided to pose the canopy closed.

15011301.jpg
15011302.jpg
15011303.jpg

Good stuff Andy. I like the way the kit parts portray the frames and lack of a floor, and the detail looks like a very good starting point if 'super-detailing' is required.
Think I might get myself one of these ...... when the 'No more kits' ban expires !

Thanks guys. I too like the provided cockpit details, though an instrument decal would have been nice. Super detailing will need to wait for another model though.

The cocpkit is all painted and done with the only non-OOB addition being the Eduard belts. I went with the early belts as this particular MkXII was built from a MkV airframe and I kept the flare cartridges for the same reason. My logic may be bent but what the hey. The pit is painted by spraying on a coat of interior green, darkening it a tad and spraying over the shadow areas, then hand painting the high points with Tamiya XF-21 Sky with a very fine brush.

15011701.jpg

15011702.jpg

On the other side, the instrument panel was hand painted by filling in the dials with white and then, when dry, filling in with a fine 0.5mm artist's pen. The wiring is simply drawn in with the same pen as are all the lightening holes.

15011703.jpg

15011704.jpg

I'm impressed with the level of detail provided with the kit is quite good. Everything in the cockpit fit perfectly and I had no issues bringing the fuselage halves together. So now we're all glued up and clamped.

15011705.jpg

Thing should go pretty quick now. Quite enjoying this build so far and hope you do too.

Thanks guys. You know, I'm pretty impressed with this kit. So far the fit has been impressive, though a few areas did need a little attention but nothing out of he ordinary. I ended up adding a few bits of stretched sprue to even out some very minor fit issues which will easily be filed away to smooth things over:

15011901.jpg
15011902.jpg

When will you do a XIV Airfix???!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back