**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk XII - OOB (Out of Box) unofficial GB-2015.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lunch and after supper. Got lots of decals on today but not all. Full stenciling is being applied and here's how she looked when I shut it down tonight (the prop is only temporarily pressed in place).

The Airfix decals performed beautifully, thick enough to allow for plenty of manipulation but thin enough to settle into the panel lines with setting solution.

15032301.jpg

The large roundels needed a bit of coaxing to settle into the panel lines, these being quite deep on this kit. After this photo was taken, I ended up scoring the decal with a scalpel in the panel line and reapplying the setting solution, which worked fine. The real reason I took this picture was to give a heads up to anyone building this kit. The wing walk line decals are printed at fixed lengths, and quite accurately, to stop at the edges of the roundels. That means that if you place the roundels first without considering the length of the walk line decals, you're almost guaranteed to get it wrong. For this reason, I started with the outer wing walk decal and then placed the roundel at its edge.

15032302.jpg

Here's an overall shot of the model as it now looks....

15032303.jpg

....and a close-up of the prop and spinner. The scratch on the upper cowl was the result of a mishap with a file and will need to be repaired.

15032304.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Here's some more.

This evening started with removing the model from my drying stand, polishing a few spots, including the repaired scratch, applying a panel wash around the engine, adding an acrylic matte coat, and finally standing it up on it's legs fro the first time. Here are the pics.

15032501.jpg
15032502.jpg
15032503.jpg
15032504.jpg
15032505.jpg

Removal of the canopy masks has revealed that some dust has gone and plastered itself against the inside of the glazing so I think I will need to break the sliding section out and fix that. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with how this has turned out. On to the fiddley bits!

Forgot to mention - that dust inside the canopy is a b*gg*r. When I removed the masking tape from the Danish F-104, the inside of the canopy had a slight cloudy, misty look !
At first I thought that some matt clear coat had found it's way inside, as a 'mist', which it could only have done via a tiny locating hole in the nose wheel bay. But it seems to be slowly clearing, thankfully, as there's no way I could remove the canopy, having blended-in all but the bottom of the opening section, on a one-piece canopy!
I can only presume it was maybe condensation or something, but there is a tiny, tiny white 'spot' inside, which has appeared from who know where, and is bl**dy irritating!
Hope you can get the opening section off, and cleaned, without damage to the surrounding areas Andy.

Thanks Hugh.

Well Terry, I did have to attend to the issue as it was just not acceptable the way it was. The dust was not a misting from the airbrush but actual particles that came from God knows where. Anyway, here's how it looked:

15032701.jpg
15032702.jpg

The nice thing about Testors Clear Parts Cement is that it doesn't bond too tightly and it was a relatively simple matter to pop the center section of the canopy off. Fortunately, it didn't pull the other sections with it an it was then a simple matter of brushing the particles out and re-cementing the canopy back on. The below pics show the finished product with the mirror and antenna installed as well.

15032703.jpg
15032704.jpg

This one's just about done and I'm sure I'll be able to post the finished pics this weekend. Thanks for checking it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back