**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire MkVIII - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers everyone. Back at since yesterday and got the weathering all done. The Tamiya Flat Base mixed with Future gave the model an even, flat, dusty look. To make it even more beat up looking, typical of the SEAC aircraft operating in this harsh environment, I dabbed a few pinpricks of the same colours over the original camo and also took to spraying a bit more also to give everything a patchy look of uneven sun bleaching. Then it was on to creating some oil staining with a wash of acrylic black and Windex carefully applied in the seams on the topside, less carefully on the bottom which saw a lot more oil stains. Exhaust stains were then added using, at first, white pastel chalk over which black pastel was applied. Finally, paint chipping was done with a silver pencil. I noticed during this shoot that one of the tail wheel gear doors went AWOL but I fortunately found it again on the basement floor.

The oil stains on the prop were added with a very sharp brown Prismacolor pencil crayon. The prop balance disk labels are kit provided decals and the writing within these was done by hand using a .2mm permanent ink pen.

Next it's on to finishing the landing gear and adding the fiddley bits. Thanks for looking in.

Attachments

• 120811 Closeup 1.jpg
    120811 Closeup 1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 120811 Closeup 2.jpg
    120811 Closeup 2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 120811 Prop.jpg
    120811 Prop.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 120811 Top 1.jpg
    120811 Top 1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 120811 Top 2.jpg
    120811 Top 2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 120811 Underside.jpg
    120811 Underside.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 64
Thanks Terry. I'm pretty happy with it. One thing I think I did wrong was to have the exhaust stubs stick out a tad too far but it's not that noticeable.

Looks cool, I'm going to have to use your technique on the spinner for my own.

Finished the fiddly bits around the pit including aluminum foil on the slightly over-sized mirror. Not completely happy with the clunky base of the mast so will likely pull it out and thin the plastic a bit. The hatch was shaded and dry-brushed. The molded pry bar was removed and replaced with a piece of sprue. Thanks again for looking in.

Attachments

• 120812 Pit.jpg
    120812 Pit.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 73

Users who are viewing this thread

Back