**** DONE: 1/48 Typhoon Mk.1B RCAF 143 16 Wing Comm 1944 Commonwealth GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys, I really do think it's working better bashing both together. Novel idea. Sometimes it pays to surf aimlessly..... Got paint after Dr visit today so will paint aluminium frame later this evening..

Taking a break from the Spit. Finished the cockpit section, sans the instrument panel for now. Tackling the flaps and ailerons. Broke down and got an Eduard flap kit to install. Cut everything off with a straight blade scalpel. It's got all the ribs. Etched plates for the flap itself and the wing liner. I sailor on.

Attachments

• 6 flaps.JPG
    6 flaps.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 186
  • 6a cockpit.jpg
    6a cockpit.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 191
  • 6b cockpit.jpg
    6b cockpit.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 194
Sure does. One thing though Bill - the control column grip was made by Dunlop, and normally had a black rubber 'whipping' wrapped around the outer two thirds of each half of the 'ring'. On the Spitfire, this whipping, or sometimes a textured rubber 'sleeve', enclosed the entire ring, except the base, and where the gun button fitted.

Thanks guys. I'll look at those grips again. Thanks for another heads up.
I had to do some filing on the underside of the wings at the flap areas to get the etched inserts to lie flat. I filed so the flat was flush with the curve of the inside of the wing piece. The trailing edge is almost sharp. See the photo. Gonna be fidly but it's gonna look OK.

Attachments

• 7 wing mod flaps.jpg
    7 wing mod flaps.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 212
Lookin real good there Bill and I should remember to cast things from time to time.I had some ailerons I could of casted for a crate I am working on ](*,)

Thanks guys........ I been stalled a little bit, prob like most with Christmas coming on and the wife "Have you got me anything yet"??????? "Course I did, didn't you see the corsair I got you"!

Been working on the flap itself. You can see the gusset reflecting light on the right. I am using glue tack to hold the etched flap down. Then little bits to hold the gusset in place in the slot etched into the flap. A piece of white rod for the pivot rod. It has to fit the scallop at the back of the gusset. Then I applied super glue, just two drops, one mid gusset and one at the rod to hold it in place. Only about 30 more to go!

I sailor on........

Attachments

• 8 flap gussets.JPG
    8 flap gussets.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 188
Fiddly job hay Bill, takes a steady hand, patience and a good magnifying glass.

Little tip for you Bill, when gluing CA I use a fine hypodermic needle reamed onto the end of an old paint brush shaft. I've been using the same needle for years now and just put a lighter to the end to burn off any glue build-up. Be sure to do this in a well ventilated place though, it's quite fumy.

Nice work Bill. If I tried that, there'd be bits of photo etch everywhere except where they should be!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back