**** DONE: 1/72 BV222 Wiking Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WW II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks good and looks huge Wayne, maybe you should put a tea mug or something beside it so we all get an idea of how huge the monster truly is.

Thanks Guys, after setbacks Thursday (couldn't get the White mix right) then friday couldn't get any done...and today visitors, I finally got the chance this afternoon to retry a thinned white mix that worked, however it was slow going to freehand this mix to get it to go on nice and neat...after 90 minutes this was all i had done before it was pack up time.

Will get at it again tomorrow but may not get the time I need...Fathers Day so I know there will be distractions....see how i go...

Attachments

• 144_White Camo-Wing_4396.jpg
    144_White Camo-Wing_4396.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 65
Another Father's Day...I better mention that to the family. I too would like to see a hand(or banana) for scale. I've moved mine off the bench on on top of the deep freeze for decaling and the finicky parts.

Geo

Thanks Guys.

Only got in another hour and change today, painting white is a real pain in the butt...and slow to get it tight and right...and then to top it off had a spill on the friggin' wing...so that needs to be fixed too...

gonna take me all week to get the white done correctly and to my satisfaction....

Attachments

• 145_White Camo_4403.jpg
    145_White Camo_4403.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 68
  • 146_Accident_4404.jpg
    146_Accident_4404.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 147_Accident_4405.jpg
    147_Accident_4405.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 63
Wayne, I thought that you might do a "whitewash" effect. Sort of a "hurried, slapped on" cammo effect which the Germans did on tanks. In the photos your white is doing a really nice job covering the dark cammo colors. Are you going to "dirty" it up?

Beginning to wonder about the angle of attack on this white distemper myself, what had been done looks kind of permanent! Shame about the spill, your little helper gremlins having a bad day Wayne.

Guys, if you read the intro Wayne did, the aircraft is as depicted for a mission just before which the white was applied so I would think it would look pretty fresh.

I can't read, damn you!!!! :oops::lol:

Honestly, if Wayne painted it in orange stripes with Hello Kitty stickers all over, it would STILL be better than anything I have ever done and perhaps ever do...I'm an optimist.

Last edited:
Guys, if you read the intro Wayne did, the aircraft is as depicted for a mission just before which the white was applied so I would think it would look pretty fresh.

I bet that someone also spilled a can of paint exactly where Wayne has his spill!

Thanks for the assist Andy, yes it will most likely appear reasonably fresh, depicted at the time of the mission, the 2 available photo,s show a rather bright application of the white but do show some wear along the waterline area along the bottom of the hull, which probably means the white was retained for a short period of time afterwards.

I wish you were right about the paint spill then I could just leave it alone...:D

Anyway got in my time during lunch and got more done on the port wing and a start on the starboard...

Attachments

• 148_Port Wing painting_4407.jpg
    148_Port Wing painting_4407.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 149_Stbd Wing Paint_4409.jpg
    149_Stbd Wing Paint_4409.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 82
Lovely!

Question Wayne, when you are brushing for long periods of time with the Tamiya paints, I assume that you find yourself cleaning the tip periodically and, if so, how often?

Lovely!

Question Wayne, when you are brushing for long periods of time with the Tamiya paints, I assume that you find yourself cleaning the tip periodically and, if so, how often?

Thanks!

The only colour that requires frequent cleaning of the tip for me is White, in the case of this bird I wipe the tip every couple of minutes to remove build up and prevent any splatter due to it going on dark greens, so far pretty good results. Most other colours i will wipe the tip maybe 10-20 minutes apart really depends on the colour though most don't leave much paint if you thin it right.

Starboard wing done now...on to the fuselage!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back