**** DONE: 1/72 Junkers Ju88C-6 - Winter War / Eastern War WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is the kit I mentioned Sam. As you can see, it's a(shudder) Hobbycraft. There are no instructions but it looks pretty basic and if you need help with anything, you can always post here. The decals are generic and don't match the boxtop but there are plenty of 1/72 builders here that could help out. I still have your address so say the word and it's yours as I have no need for it.

004.JPG

Geo

I can't let down a good offer so please do send it.I've tackled Hobbycraft before and they're aren't too bad to build but they tend to be very inaccurate ( BUT I'm 14 so if it looks like a Stuka,It is a Stuka!) Also academy reissued this kit I can use the instructions from that one if I need to, but it's relatively simple and easy to put together. Thanks Fubar!

Thanks guys! Unfortunately the front window decal is rubbish as it cracked into dozens of pieces at the first exposure to water, along with the swastikas cracking and then to top the cake my camera needs a new lens... Is there any way to delete a thread? I need to retire this one from the build and put the model on the shelf of "waiting."

Sad news Sam but the decals could be retrievable if you pre paint them with a couple coats of a decal restorer, it forms a film over the decal which usually crack because of age. Have used it myself with good results. I use Microscale Liquid Decal Film.

Thanks guys! Unfortunately the front window decal is rubbish as it cracked into dozens of pieces at the first exposure to water, along with the swastikas cracking and then to top the cake my camera needs a new lens... Is there any way to delete a thread? I need to retire this one from the build and put the model on the shelf of "waiting."

I don't think there is the need of removing of the thread at all. Because the decal has cracked while soaking with water you need to make it from scratch. I have noticed you had painted the "nose" of the model with the blue colour. That's good. If you have a sheet of clear decal or just unnecessary piece of any decal markings, paint it with the colour of the window frame. Then cut off narrow stripes with a sharp scalpel or a razor blade. According to the picture the origin frame wasn't painted neatly so you don't have to be very acurate. The next step is to soak with the water a such made decal and put on the nose. Apply some water on the nose where the strip has to be. It let you move the strip with a brush in order to get the proper location. In the same way you may make these swastikas. In the images below you can see swastika decals I had to make form scratch when the same happened to the origin kit decals long time ago. It's my old 1/72 scale Bf 109. Firstly I cut out two white squares and applied at the fin. On the next day I cut with a sharp razor blade, narrow black stripes and made two crosses and then added these flanged "arms".

DSCN0841.jpg

DSCN0842.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the decals and the camera. I would also encourage you to continue. I'm sure there are ways to overcome these obstacles and there've been a few good examples posted already!

Yay!!! Consider my enthusiasm revived! And if that (somehow) fails I could also go by the masking tape route too. Now I have a back up plan of how to do it. Thanks Wurger and Vic! I'll keep an eye out for that decal film next time I go to the LHS.

Don't worry Geo, I've got two pairs of swastikas (other than the ones that come with the kit.) And here's a shot of what the model looks like through the eyes of a broken lens (The crack is so miniscule you can't see it on the pic but as you can see it makes a big difference in my focus!) I painted the Nose lines with a mechanical pencil dipped in paint then I broke the tip off and touched up with some blue. More updates to come!
SAM_3855.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back