**** DONE: 1/72 Morane Saulnier 406 - Pacific Theatre of Operations II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking very very nice. What are your fears and doubts about this build ?

I am concerned about that whitish oxidey colouration that can be seen on some parts of the model. To be honest I dont know what it is, and I dont know whats caused it. I was thinking maybe some moisture got into the acrylic mixes when I sprayed.Or possibly some residues like masking sticky left when I lifted the tape.

I also have a request for some details of the big radiator on the underside, what colours to paint the exposed metal bits when the readiatore is in the lowered position.

I see Michael. But the model looks really very nice.

As far as the underside retractable radiator is concerned.. it looks quite dark in a couple of pics I have seen. I think that the radiator main body should be painted with a black colour and then the silver or copper drybrushing. The underside of the cowling was of the underside colour of course but the inner could be the same or the same of the fuselage interior. The mechanizm of retracting that can be seen at the front seems to be of either silver/steel or grey.

Last edited:
Micheal , here you are a couple of shots with the radiator seen. I hope these will help. ...pic source: the net...

morane_saulnier-ms_406_3.jpg

morane_saulnier-ms_406_2.jpg

morane_saulnier-ms_406_1.jpg

morane_saulnier-ms_406.jpg

Thankyou so much Wotjek. That looks to me to be a black background (being the radiator colling fins, with some sort of metallic finish for the metqal framing that can be seen. i agree, dry brushing of those elements is the way to go. I think I will have to re-detach the radiator box to do this. Shouldnt be hard, has already fallen off by its own devices once already.

At the sides, im not sure. Im inclined to keep the exposed sides the same colour as the underside grey that I already have painted them . Photos Ive seen dont show anythig shiny or unusual about these elements (at the side)

Some of that detail is not shown in the Hasegawa kit, but I think it can be extemporised pretty easily

famous last words perhaps.

Looks good Michael. Not so sure about the oxidation but looks to me like something on the surface of the plastic, moisture or some chemical on finger, something in the materials used to mask, any number of things.

Some of that detail is not shown in the Hasegawa kit, but I think it can be extemporised pretty easily

famous last words perhaps.

Here a couple shots of the PE radiator... found via the Internet..

025dgw.jpg

mr3-1.jpg

mr5.jpg

thankyou again wotjek. My kit doesnt have near that level of detail, but nevertheless i wanted to try an create at least some of the radiator effects. ive made a bit of a start, firstly to dismatle the assembly. Next i used a 0.1 hard drafting pen that i had lying around, to create the lines on the radiator ends. i thought about scribing the lines into the plastic, but decided against that, because i thoiught that deeply scored lines would just make it look too rough.

next i had to create that bronze/gold/copper colour. not sure if ive naqiled that, but i mized a little Xf-4 (yellow green) with a non-standard GW colour called "dwarf bronze"...a metallic paint that i had lurking in the paint box.

im happy with the result, but Im open to comment or criticism. The black drafting pen ink (black) appears to have created little ridges, to which the paint has tended to adhese more than the unpainted bits. thats what i thought it might do. Whether the effect is vivid enough to be actually seen, Im not so sure, but its ther, and its quite subtle, which is the effect i was after.

The images are very heavily magnified so they look very rough, but in the flesh the paintwork is okay.

Once the paint is dry, i need to decide if i want to enhance the moulding by adding my own metal rods to give greater depth and realism to the model. Im still considering that as ther is a degree of risk in doing that....mostly that the part might not fit into its recess if i mess around too much

Attachments

• 102_2823.JPG
    102_2823.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 102_2825.JPG
    102_2825.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 102_2826.JPG
    102_2826.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 69
well this is how this little side project has progressed. still not finished, i have some overspray to take care of and the assembly is not glued in just yet.

man, are those close ups brutal...I can see blemishes and imperfections allover. evidence of insufficient care.....and i thought i going okay. i got a lot to learn

Attachments

• 102_2827.JPG
    102_2827.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 102_2828.JPG
    102_2828.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 86

Users who are viewing this thread

Back