**** DONE: 1/72 P-51B Mustang of Tex Hill - Aircraft of the Aces GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ah, I can see the pics now! Looking good Dirk. If you add a half-round section to the gap in the front of the flaps (or a section of round rod, set into each flap), once positioned, this should blank out the gap in the wing.

Ah, I can see the pics now! Looking good Dirk. If you add a half-round section to the gap in the front of the flaps (or a section of round rod, set into each flap), once positioned, this should blank out the gap in the wing.

I need to find some photos so I can figure out the attaching points

Here's a couple of a P51D I took at Duxford, and two of Don Gentile's P51B.

Attachments

• Duxford  May 2011 095.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 095.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 254
  • Duxford  May 2011 096.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 096.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 249
  • Can Jan 085.jpg
    Can Jan 085.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 264
  • Can Jan 086.jpg
    Can Jan 086.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 259
How about a fine strip of half round plastic stuck to the back of the flap, a couple of small guide hols strategically place and drilled into the strip with apposing holed in blocks placed in the wing and a fine hidden wire used to anchor them. Just a though.

That's similar to the way I did it on the Revell/Monogram 1/48th P51B, and the old 1/32nd scale Revell P51B.
A length of plastic rod was glued into the opening at the leading edge of each flap, assembling the flap halves over the rod. Once set, the hinge access holes were drilled and reamed (later filled with black paint). The assembled flaps were then cemented into the gaps on the trailing edge of the wing, with the inner face of the plastic rod having the adhesive, cemented directly to the inner surface of the wing.
The joint was firm and strong, and didn't require further support.
If you need a sketch showing what I mean, let me know.

Thanks for all the input on the flaps guys. I've been progressing with them still detached so I won't knock them off during the build but you guys have brought up and posted pictures that I hadn't even thought about. I will be undoing some bits i've already done once I get back to them. The build is progressing faster then I can post the pictures.

Last edited:
Here is what I've done with the flaps already. Again this was done before all your input and will need to be redone.

IMG_4236.jpg

IMG_4237.jpg

IMG_4238.jpg

I used the same method to fill the gaps in the flaps also. That gives both parts a flat surface rather then one rounded and one concave to receive the rounded piece.

IMG_4239.jpg

IMG_4240.jpg

Filling the seams on the fuselage

IMG_4241.jpg

IMG_4242.jpg

IMG_4243.jpg

IMG_4244.jpg

More to come. Thanks for looking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back