DONE: 1/72 Scale Wildcat Scratch (Wood/Metal) Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Isn't this forum just brilliant??!! I love the way everyone helps each other - pity the rest of the World's communities aren't like us!

Quite right, Terry.
OK, here is one new photo of the progress on the model so far - Wildcat model is now assembled and "puttied". More photos after sanding. :D

Attachments

• 3_01.jpg
    3_01.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
D***, I cannot make a plane from a kit and you are making it from a block of wood. Nice work! One of the first warbird I saw back in the 70's was a Wildcat in prewar marking, grey, yellow wings and a green tail. It was a hot little number chasing the tora birds.

DBII
(closet fan of the Wildcat)

Looks great so far Igor, very nice work. BTW, the stuff was posted off today (Thursday), and I included the painting guide on the CD, and 6 props - 3 with spinners, 3 without. Hopefully you can re-shape one to suit.

Got onto this one late...Beautiful work Igor!!! :D

Sounds like Wayne and Terry have your decals covered! I also have 4 13mm and 4 14 mm Hasegawa US stars if you need back ups.

Thanks for kind words Evan!
Also I really appreciate your offer. Will see how it goes with decals sent by Terry and Wayne. Good to know there is a backup plan, though.

Last edited:
Time for some new progress photos...
Basically, Wildcat model is now assembled with excess putty sanded off. I've drawn panel lines on wings and fuselage. This is the first time I've attempted something like this on wooden model, so I don't know what to expect and how this will turn out. The idea is that since the model will be painted with relative light colors (gray/blue) this panel lines will see through the paint but hopefully not too much. Work on some details (like tail wheel and such) is still needed before actual painting.

Attachments

• Copy of 4_01.jpg
    Copy of 4_01.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Copy of 4_02.jpg
    Copy of 4_02.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Copy of 4_04.jpg
    Copy of 4_04.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Copy of 4_06.jpg
    Copy of 4_06.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 85
  • Copy of 4_08.jpg
    Copy of 4_08.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 96
Beautiful work Igor!

You could maybe lightly scribe the panel lines (practicing on a scrap piece of that wood first to see if it's suitable for that) , and wash them, like with plastic kits?

Nice work Igor!I also have the same sentaments about the lines,scribe them.Cheers Kevin

Thanks fellas and thanks to you Wayne for sending decals I need. Hope they will arrive till end of August. Long way from Australia to Serbia. (Actually I don't know how long it will take them to arrive since I've never got mail from Australia before).

As for panel lines... Actually scribing panel lines was my first thought too and I practiced on some peaces of scrap wood of the same type(s). It would be possible on the main wing but not on the fuselage. In fact for those panel lines that run in parallel with fuselage scribing is possible but only with great care. But for those panel lines which are not parallel with wood grain (and most of them are not) any attempt of scribing just means tearing surface of the wood. (Fuselage and main wing are made from different types of wood). Since I didn't want to give up of this panel lines completely, I came up with drawing them with pencil as some kind of partial solution... :|

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back