*** DONE: 1/72nd Lancaster B.III 'G for George' 460 Sqn RAAF

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the interest guys and photos Alex ,:thumbleft:

Yes Daniel, the entire bomb bay was semi-matt black (Night), including the insides and edges of the doors.
Good old Airfix really did mess up didn't they - 429 Sqn was RCAF, and flew Halifax III's, only getting Lancs in March 1945, used on ops only up to April 25th!!!
Being fair though, when Airfix released their first Lanc back in the late 1950's, they got the squadron right as 460.
It's a pity Alex's pics show 'Access Denied' though.

Thanks for the info mate , I made it the hobby shop but forgot which paint No.s to get , thinking I may try one humbrol colour and see how that goes

Please excuse me for the repititative question :oops: but I must ask whats the best thinner to use with enamels? ( pretty sure now turps doesn't work :oops: )

For the Humbrol enamels the best thinner is the Humbrol one. No problems with it so far. Also you can use Wamod II thinner.

Cheers Wojtek , never heard of Wamod II thinner but Humbrol's thinner I can get :)

You'r welcome.:)

The Wamod II thinner is offered by Polish firm Wamod.It is available in plastic bottles of capacity 180ml and 75ml. It can be used for Humbrol, Testors, Revell enamel diluting.

Attachments

• wam_roz_duzy.jpg
    wam_roz_duzy.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 112
  • wam_roz_maly.jpg
    wam_roz_maly.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 115
Yesterday and today cockpit work and filling gaps on the wings ,haven't sanded much . Added the bombay , painted that today too

Some pics

Attachments

• IMG_1032.JPG
    IMG_1032.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1041.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 88
Coming along mate!
I think the seat should be cockpit green for an earlier Lanc, and black for a late, when the whole cockpit section forward of the radio station was overpainted...Terry or Ian will be able to tell you for sure.

Cheers Evan and Alex

I think the seat should be cockpit green for an earlier Lanc, and black for a late, when the whole cockpit section forward of the radio station was overpainted

Lots of painting left to do so shall be an easy fix :) thanks for the info mate

Attachments

• george5[1].jpg
    george5[1].jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 97
  • btally01[1].jpg
    btally01[1].jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 96
  • lanc3.jpg
    lanc3.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 98
  • lanc2.jpg
    lanc2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 97
  • lanc1.jpg
    lanc1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 95
  • w4783_-_overall[1].jpg
    w4783_-_overall[1].jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Bloody great photos Alex! (Never knew the mid upper turret fairing was in two parts either!)

Daniel, check out the 'kiwi aircraft images' site for full interior photo tour of the MoTaT Lanc (originally a French Mk.VII)

Nice pics guys. The last shot, of the cockpit, is more or less as it should be, although this Lanc has dual controls fitted. These were a 'bolt on' accessory, removable, and operational Lancs only had the single control yoke, and no rudder pedals to bang your head on when entering the bomb aimer's compartment (it bl**dy hurts when you do it, believe me!!).
The early Lancs were painted in the Cockpit Grey/Green on the entire inside of the fuselage, but the forward section was soon painted in a semi-matt black, and this was later done at the factories. This was to reduce glare, and the possibility of the lighter painted areas being visible from outside. From the main spar forward was black, (thast's from the radio op's station, where the transit joint is) the remainder of the interior being in the green grey colour. The pilot's seat was black on all models, with the arm rest and back padding in dark brown leather. The pilot's head armour was normally the cockpit green colour, with a yellowish green circular 'gas' panel, although these were sometimes painted black, especially on the rear surface. The armour was sometimes removed late in the war, but AFAIK, 'George' retained this armoured panel, which was from the floor to above the pilot's head.
The two support stanchions between the nav and radio op stations, and the hand rails down to the nose compartment were often overpainted black, and were eventually re- painted yellow, particularly the hand rails, as a guide in the darkness. The fuselage decking behind the cockpit, under the canopy, was in the external camouflage colour. The 'open' part of the main spar, the notorious 'knacker cracker' which had to be clambered over to reach the forward section, was directly adjacent to the radio ops position, whio's seat was actually on the spar flange, and this had a curved alloy plate covering it, again painted black, but often worn with dull metal showing through. But it's unliklely this will be visible in 1/72nd scale.
If you decide to open the rear entrance hatch, the the door opened inwards and forward, and there was a step, or plate on the lower lip of the door frame, over the ammunition tracks, which was originally painted the cockpit green colour, but often coated with a dark grey anti-slip material. The inner surface of the door was also cockpit green, and the colour was just visible on the door edges. The boarding ladder was black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back