**** DONE: Revell 1/72nd scale Lancaster BIII, 'Oozlum Bird', 625 Sqn, RAF, GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

On the final stretch now, at last!
The wheel bay doors and their retraction jacks are in place, as are the bomb bay doors and jacks, and some retouching and final painting is required in these areas. The vertical fins have now been attached, and tiny notches set into the top of each one, ready to accept the antenna wires later. The rudder, and rudder trim tab mass balance horns will be fitted at the end of construction, and painted accordingly.
Next step is to see if it's possible to add some internal detail to the mid-upper turret, similar to that made for the nose and tail turrets, and assemble this, then add a bomb sight and mount, and the nose blister. Then it's the props, all the fiddly bits and the display base, and it should be done.
Thanks again for your interest, and I'll post some more pics soon.

Attachments

• Avro, Bomber GB 151.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 151.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Avro, Bomber GB 146.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 146.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Avro, Bomber GB 147.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 147.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 139
Thanks Evan. I had to check the wheel finish for this one, as there are a number of combinations - all black, black hub with bare metal rim, all bare metal, bare metal hub with black rim ! Depends on production location, date, and the unit etc, as some of the 'black' was applied on the squadron. Having spent hours trolling through the LM serials, and checking on the very few pics of 625 Sqn aircrtaft, it seems the black rim with bare metal centre hub is the one!

That is some research Terry! I would never have known that. (Have to keep it in my mind for my own builds!)

Got another few fiddly bits out of the way, and should be finished in time for the deadline.
The props have been assembled and painted, and will be fitted later. Meanwhile, a bomb sight bracket, and the optical sighting head for the MkXIV bomb sight have been fabricated from stretched sprue and plastic rod, and then painted and mounted in the nose. The larger bomb-aimer's blister has been fitted, with the twin I.R. lights of the 'Z' equipment in place, and the mounting clips have been replictaed by etching and painting around the rim of the blister.
Although the first recorded use of 'Village Inn', or AGLT (Automatic Gun Laying Turret,) wasn't until September 1944, I was assured by Norman, the Flight Engineer of 'Oozlum Bird', that the 'Z' equipment lamps were fitted, although he wasn't sure, after almost fifty years, if it was actually connected and operational. This equipment comprised a pair of Infra Red lamps, which flashed a code which could be picked up by the AGLT of the rear turret of other Lancasters, preventing a 'Friendly Fire' incident, as it would be called nowadays.
The 'Monica' tail-warning radar was also still fitted to 'Oozlum Bird', and the antenna for this will be made and added later.
The mid- upper turret has been fitted, although the frame has yet to be painted, and due to the looming deadline I refrained from adding any extra detail inside here.
The windscreen de-icer spray jets have been added to the nose, made from lenghts of stretched sprue, and these will be trimmed to shape and painted.
The pics show the nose area, with the bomb sight and mount faintly visible through the blister, and the white 'spikes' are the de-icer jets. The other two pics are how the model looks so far.
Thanks again for your interest and kind comments.

Attachments

• Avro, Bomber GB 160.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 160.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 165
  • Avro, Bomber GB 164.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 164.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Avro, Bomber GB 167.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 167.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 138

Users who are viewing this thread

Back