*** DONE Italeri 1/48th scale Boston IIIA Group Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nearly there! The figure conversions are almost complete, and most of the small additions have been made to the model itself. I had a bit of a delay, or two delays really, due to bl**dy Humbrol paint again! After painting the props in Satin Black, I found they were still very tacky after more than 72 hours. So, a quick coat of thinners and the paint streamed off - didn't even have to wipe it! The props were repainted in Humbrol Matt Black, but this was so thin it wouldn't cover properly, so, after another three coats and 24 hours drying, I finally got them gloss coated, ready for the Hamilton Standard dedcals.
I should have some pics tomorrow, as most of the time, over 8 hours, has been spent re-modelling the figures, but meanwhile, here's a pic of the almost completed base, showing the dispersal pan at Swanton Morley, Norfolk.

Attachments

• Bombers Build 202.jpg
    Bombers Build 202.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 102
Wow, that's sweet work Terry!

Sorry to hear about your continued Humbrol woes. It's funny but I have old tins of Humbrol paint that must be close on 20 years old. I've carted them all over the country through 4 moves. The white tip on the fin of my 262 was done with one such tin of Humbrol paint and it came out beautifully. The paint is as good as the day I bought it. I haven't tried any of their new stuff though and hope they get it right again.

Thanks guys. I know what you mean Wayne, these extras are taking almost as long as the model itself! Think the next few will be just 'stand alone' or on plain bases.

Ahem! I think I did H !! But, it's finished!
All the fiddly bits have been added to the Boston, such as the step, antenna wires, a dinghy pack made from 'Milliput' and so on. The figures are painted and in place, but I've yet to make a 'Trolley Ac' power unit and another converted figure for a ground crew member, plus a couple of minor things. But the main thing is the model, not the base and surroundings, so I'll post the 'Finished' pictures in a new thread.
I need to take some decent shots yet, as the lighting I used was far from satisfactory, and I'm not 100% happy with the figures either. I know a bad workman always blames his tools, but this current Humbrol paint is far too 'sticky', even when thinned, for delicate figure painting. Ah well!
Anyway, here's one pic for now. The scene shows 'Jack' Wilson about to take the Form 700 from the Flight Sergeant 'Chiefy', whilst the Navigator, Sgt. Willie MacDonald, checks his navigation equipment bag, before donning his parachute harness, laying next to him with the chest-pack 'chute, and climbing aboard. At the rear of the aircraft, the stand-in Air Gunner, Flt. Lt. J.G. Partridge, explains the boarding procedure to Sgt. 'Terry' Hunt, the camera man who is to make a film of the operation for Pathe Gazette.
I wonder what happened to the film after they were shot down?
Thanks again for all your support and kind comments during this build.

Attachments

• Bombers Build 225.jpg
    Bombers Build 225.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 88

Users who are viewing this thread

Back