**** DONE: A6M5 Zero - ATAIU*SEA U.K. - Captured / Aircraft in Foreign Service GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One of the worst things has happened, well model wise any way.
I have lost a gear leg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contacted Has in the US, but if it was not sold in the US he says he cannot help me...... wish me luck.

Thanks Wayne. I will get this one complete, as the other is the before version, and not due with the GB I will finish it off when I do find a new leg for it.

Am back on this one. Interior is all done, fusey all wrapped up. I stuffed TP in the cockpit for painting or I would post a pic of the interior. I'm planning on "ageing" this one as I have done the cockpit, so the outside has gotten the Tamiya Silver Leaf spay job. Next to spray water based colors that will be scraped and scratched or the chipping of the exterior. Here's a couple shots of the bare metal finish before painting.

Wish me luck.

Attachments

• Zero 3a undercoat.jpg
    Zero 3a undercoat.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Zero 3b undercoat.jpg
    Zero 3b undercoat.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 92
well Bill, after looking through a couple of sets of spares stuff couldn't find a spare leg for you....sorry man...worse case, display this one in flying mode....unless that resin moulding skill can replicate a new one?

Nice job with the metal finish Bill. I once made a new leg for a 109 out of a piece of sprue using a needle file to get it to the right shape. I used a micrometer to check it against the other gear leg as I went and used a short piece of wire in aluminum tube for the axel and some bits of scrap plastic for the drag-link. whole thing took me maybe an hour. Could hardly tell it from the real one when it was painted and weathered. Might be worth a try.

Some good ideas there. Making a jackstand would be a walk in the park...... The before version, see pic, I can take my time on...

I have painted the overall on both, the comparrison of the new plane and the captured condition is pretty cool. I think I will try and give them both the same code numbers. Included is the cockpit. I still have the canopies to paint.

After painting with Tamiya acrylics I just used a little pice of stainless, actually it's a 6" ruler, and scraped the color off the lacquer silver as it doesn't "bite" hard. Scrapes off pretty easy.

I'll give them both a coating of Future and apply decals to the New version. The captured I'll give it a coat of a blacker green as if to cover the meatballs then the roundell over that.

I just might get them done. Now to post Jack.

Attachments

• Zero 4a new-captured.jpg
    Zero 4a new-captured.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Zero 4b cockpit.jpg
    Zero 4b cockpit.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 94

Users who are viewing this thread

Back