**** DONE: F4U-1D Corsair USNASLVK - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks fellas...........

I got sidetracked from the engine and was looking at an overall diagram when I realized the vert stab did not have the antenae post at the top, so I made one and then painted the fin.

Then I was looking over the weapons and the drop tank didn't have a filler in it, so I drilled a hole and made a cap from a piece of PVC rod and painted it red. Added the vent tube as well.

Now I am in need of ONE 500 pounder bomb for under the plane next to the drop tank. I can't seem to locate Any US bombs in 1/48th scale. I will have eight rockets, from the kit, hung on the wings, but there is only the drop tanks of which I will use just one. The info I have found lists 2,000 pounds of bomb load but with the drop tank carrying 100 gal looks like about 700 pounds, so I am thinking the bomb load would be near the same weight. Anyone know of the type of bombs carried??????

Attachments

• NASLVK 17b rudder.jpg
    NASLVK 17b rudder.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 71
  • NASLVK 17a rudder.jpg
    NASLVK 17a rudder.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 67
Stupendous eh????

Well call me silly..... don't understand why I put myownself thru This, but I have the peddles front and back cuz the rudder will be offset, and the ailerons will be tipped!
So I am moving the stick forward to match the elevators. Of course one cannot just cut and re-glue eh?

Attachments

• NASLVK 18a stick.jpg
    NASLVK 18a stick.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 66
  • NASLVK 18b stick.jpg
    NASLVK 18b stick.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 61
It's been a while since I've look in here and just now caught up. You're doing a fantastic job Bill!!
Now I am in need of ONE 500 pounder bomb for under the plane next to the drop tank. I can't seem to locate Any US bombs in 1/48th scale. I will have eight rockets, from the kit, hung on the wings, but there is only the drop tanks of which I will use just one. The info I have found lists 2,000 pounds of bomb load but with the drop tank carrying 100 gal looks like about 700 pounds, so I am thinking the bomb load would be near the same weight. Anyone know of the type of bombs carried??????
I found one on eBay here: 500 lb US GP Bombs: WW2, Korea War (1/48 True Details 48503) | eBay It said Korea, but it looks just like a WWII US 500 pounder to me. I know they are also available at Squadron if you have other stuff to buy it might make the shipping cost easier to take.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Good on ya Glenn! Had forgotten they do that set..!

...and I'm an idiot! Just checked my 1:48 ICM P-51D and guess what? 2 spare 500-lb GP bombs... :)

Let me know if you still want 500-lbers or a 1000-lber as you mentioned on the 'spare parts' thread Bill, got ya covered either way.

Last edited:
Thanks again guys.....

Now here is my dill-emma.... I "think" the large tanks that came with the kit are 160 gal. There are two. At 7+/- lbs per gal is about 1100 lbs. So I am thinking a tank and a 1000 lber could be stuffed under the wing with the tank. I have been looking everywhere for bomb load config for the corsair and can find nada! I am thinking 100 lbers would have been hung under the wings, as the rockets are about the same weight. I have them.

Anybody got anything on bomb load configs for this bird???? So I can get this right is all. Thanks for all your offers. When I get it sorted I will take someone up on this fer shur!

Looks like you have the bombs covered Bill, sadly neither of my Corsair books show anything about load configuration so can't help there.

The Corsairs were capable of carrying two 1,000 pounders. I'm looking for my reference. Found it in The Illustrated Directory of Fighting Aircraft of World War II. Two 160 gallon fuel tanks or two one thousand pounders. Course, I suppose you could've put to 500s or 250s or.... well, you get the idea.

Last edited:
Have installed the sides of the cockpit into the body. This is what it looks like on the center section of the wings. Have the stick installed as well with the firewall. It seems to be coming together nicely.

I am stoked! The instrument panel is next, then the gun bay.

Attachments

• NASLVK 19a cockpit.jpg
    NASLVK 19a cockpit.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 60
  • NASLVK 19b cockpit.jpg
    NASLVK 19b cockpit.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 65

Users who are viewing this thread

Back