**** DONE: Fiat G-50 FA-26 the Finnish Air Force - VVS/Eastern Front GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
VVS/Eastern Front GB - Fiat G-50 FA-26 Flown by W.O. Oiva Tuominen Finnish Air Force

UserName / Name : Wayne Little
Category : Non Competing – Judge
Kit : Sector / Hasegawa Rebox 1/48 Fiat G-50
Accessories : Seatbelts maybe? Basically a Simple Out-of-Box Quickie..!

I am moving to the Northern sector of the Eastern Front with this build where a
'little" skirmish occurred between Finland and Russia, known as the Continuation War.....

Oiva Tuominen first flew FA-26 marked as "Blue 6" in Lentolaivue 26 during the Continuation War in 1941, he scored 13 victories, 9 of which were scored with "Blue 6". The aircraft was initially camouflaged in Italian Colours.
The aircraft was then repainted during a major overhaul in an overall Olive Green on it's upper surface, it was then marked as "White 5".
A further 10 victories followed in 1942, 4 of these in 'White 5" making Warrant officer Oiva Tuominen the top scorer in the Fiat G-50 with a total of 23 victories in the type.

I will be modelling the latter "White 5" as I have already done "Blue 6".

""Oiva Tuominen(1908-1976) was a Finnish fighter ace and Knight of the Mannerheim Cross. He achieved his first aerial victories in the Winter War flying Fokker D.XXI(1 1/2 victories) and then later flew Gloster Gladiator Mk.II achieving 6 and a half aerial victories, which makes him the most successful Finnish biplane pilot. In Continuation War he became the most successful Finnish Fiat G.50 pilot for scoring 23 victories with the aircraft. Later in the war he also flew Messerschmitt Bf 109 G and shot down 13 more enemy aircraft, bringing his total kill count to 44."

Image Sources:
Fiat G.50 By Kalevi Keskinen and Kari Stenman
Finnish Fighter Aces Kalevi Keskinen, Kari Stenman and Klaus Niska.

Attachments

• Fa-26 Profile_0062a.jpg
    Fa-26 Profile_0062a.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,259
  • FA-26 Blue 6_0065.jpg
    FA-26 Blue 6_0065.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 666
  • FA-26_White 5_0063.jpg
    FA-26_White 5_0063.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,659
Last edited by a moderator:
This will be a cool one Wayne :thumbleft: Now the way you did the bio on the pilot sounds like he survived the war?That always for me makes the individual alittle more interesting.

great choice Wayne, I like those tail markingsI think that attracted the ole boy some myself?Kinda reminded me also of the JU88 which this will be a blink of the eye to that build's time frame ;)

Last edited:
Very nice choice Wayne and even though you say a quick build...............mmmmm..........we will see. That tail art will look stunning, do you have it as a decal or are you working from scratch?

Very nice choice Wayne and even though you say a quick build...............mmmmm..........we will see. That tail art will look stunning, do you have it as a decal or are you working from scratch?

It WILL be quick....! and yes a decal for the tail art.

Thanks for your interest fellas...! :)

Some progress.....colour applied for the cockpit, this will be real simple, bit more paint and detail, seat belts only to come, you can't see much anyway!

...and the cowl parts are on the go...

Attachments

• 1_Cockpit colour_3588.jpg
    1_Cockpit colour_3588.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 240
  • 2_Instrument Panel_3590.jpg
    2_Instrument Panel_3590.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 251
  • 3_Cowling pieces_3601.jpg
    3_Cowling pieces_3601.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 254

Users who are viewing this thread