DONE: Finished Kittyhawk IV -Curtiss P-40N RAAF 76 Sqn G-SV A29-1140 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wow! The wonders of modern science! Electric sandpaper I'll be blowed! Beats the h*ll out of lots of rubbing, I bet!

Research update:

I have received through the kind help of a fellow aussie p-40 expert (A big thanks if he is reading this!), a high res version of the picture I have posted and another has come to light, which I have been able to view.

At the time of the crash 1140 was definitely coded I-SV, not G-SV. Not saying the decals are wrong at this stage as it looks like (to me anyway) that the code has been changed at some point.

Also there was a painted name above the panther head art work which is not on the decal sheet - this may also have been added later and I am still seeking input into the exact name.

Have found more detail regarding pilot, missions flown and 76 squadron activities, which I will share in another update.

Cheers

Ozhawk40

To keep you p-40 lovers happy, here are some photos of another unfortunate event that befell A29-1190, a sister ship to a29-1140. Point to note is the point. Clearly has a natural metal spinner cap. Photos courtesy of the National Australian Archives.

ozhawk40

Attachments

• 3078231_0006.jpg
    3078231_0006.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 3078231_0008.jpg
    3078231_0008.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 158
  • 3078231_0010.jpg
    3078231_0010.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 3078231_0012.jpg
    3078231_0012.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 3078231_0014.jpg
    3078231_0014.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 159
Nope, he didn't.

It was supposed to be a "regular" landing.

(you will note the skid marks on the tarmac - which means the dunlops were well and truly dangled!)

As they say - any landing you walk away from.....

:shock: :oops:

Oh! Thanks for the explanation Peter! I'd noticed the rubber on the runway, and assumed he'd suffered a collapsed undercart. Toes on the brakes, wheels locked on contact, bendy bend of the gear legs, locking pins shear, and...crunch! Am I right?
So, one massive bollocking and a red mark in the book! Still neat though, unless the prop hitting the deck shock loaded the engine of course.

Airframes

Your analysis is almost spot on. Landing was judged "Heavy", shearing the u/c links. I could post the pilots explanation (a bit of a scream) and the findings, but the pictures tell the story. :D

Sparks from the tortured metal set the rudder fabric on fire! Ahh, the spectacle of it all!!

cheers

ozhawk40

Last edited:
Sparks from the tortured metal set the rudder fabric on fire! Ahh, the spectacle of it all!!

That was the first thing I noticed and was thinking how in the hell did he bring it in?fire explains alot.Kevin

Great to see some new pictures, very interesting too. "Times New Roman" lettering??

Not sure of the "font" flexibull, but they are a bit more interesting that the standard codes. I don't know why they started doing this, but 76 squadron paint jobs were always a little more "different". For example they went through a phase of having camo, but natural metal canopy frames. Probably as some sort of easy id feature.

cheers

Ozhawk40

I am along the way from this photo, but I thought I'd post a small update. I 'am at the assembly/sand/fill/sand/check/sand and then refill stage which gets a bit boring. But it is coming together.

The detail on this Hasegawa is great, but the way they built this model to make various versions is painfull.

I decided to assemble both halves complete with tail section before sticking them together, however this creates a join line vertically down the centre of the rear fuselage where there shouldn't be a panel line. It stumps me why they didn't add the extra bit just like Curtiss did in '42 - or was that '41. Someone will tell me for sure.

Cheers

Attachments

• long tail add - resized.jpg
    long tail add - resized.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back