DONE: Spitfire MkVc "Marge" No.85 Sqn RAAF, Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wildcat

Major
Apr 11, 2005
South East Queensland
My entry for the GB will be Spitfire MkVc A58-250 of 85 sqn RAAF based at Pearce, Western Australia in the late 44 early 45 time period. I've choosen this aircraft because I've always wanted to do a NMF Spitfire, which will be a bit different to the usual RAF examples we're all familiar with.
I've done some research into the history of this aircraft and this is what I came up with.
A58-250 arrived in Australia on the 23rd of November 1943 onboard the SS Cornwall. On the 4th of Feb 44 it was assigned to No.457 Sqn RAAF where it became the mount of the "B" Flight Commander, F/Lt A. Glendining DFC. Alf Glendining was a vetern from the Middle East where he flew P-40's with 450 sqn RAAF and later Spitfires with 92 sqn RAF. During his time in the desert he shot down 4 ea and shared in the destruction of 2 more.
During its time with 457 sqn, A58-250 coded ZP-K, mainly flew convoy patrols and interceptions of friendly a/c. 250 arrived in Darwin too late to see action against the Japanese there. During May 1944, A58-250 flew to Exmounth Gulf in Western Australia where it took part in Operatiuon Boarshead. Here 457 sqn along with 54 sqn RAF flew cover to a combined US/RN and French strike force which subsequently attacked the Japanese at Surabaya. The two Spitfire squadron's gaurded the fleet before and after the attack as they undertook refueling operations.
After 9 months with 457 sqn, -250 was then allocated to 85 sqn RAAF based at Pearce in Western Australia. Being in a virtual backwater 85 sqn's spitfires saw no action against the Japanese and A58-250, now coded SH-K, flew for the last time on the 23rd of May 1945 after which W/O Gray ground looped her on landing. A58-250 was then "converted to components".

I'll be using the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Vc with after market decals to portray 250.
Category - 2

Attachments

• decals.jpg
    decals.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 204
  • spitfirevcreviewbg_box.jpg
    spitfirevcreviewbg_box.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 206
  • 85sqnRAAF1.jpg
    85sqnRAAF1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Cheers guys! Now a question for you experts out there. Wheel wells and the insides of the flaps, painted or stripped back as well?? I'm leaning towards the paint being left on (interior green??). Here are some more pics of 250 and one other a/c belonging to this squadron for those who can interpret b&W pictures.

Attachments

• 85sqnRAAF2.jpg
    85sqnRAAF2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 85sqnRAAF3.jpg
    85sqnRAAF3.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 85sqnRAAF4.jpg
    85sqnRAAF4.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 85sqnRAAF8.jpg
    85sqnRAAF8.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 207
I think that these areas were painted with the interior green for Spits, Andy.

SH-U appears to have unpainted wheel wells, Andy, so maybe -K did aswell? Traditionally this area would have been painted as Wojtek said, in Interior Green. Humbrol 31 is a close match for this colour.

If the wheel wells were left unpainted (or stripped), then the flaps possibly were aswell..?

(Let me know if you need any parts for conversion, btw)

Hmm. I was leaning towards the wells and flap area being painted, as A58-250would have been camouflaged when with 457 sqn. It's that last pic that threw me, as like Evan, I reckon the wheel wells are unpainted.
Wayne if you're out there, what, if anything, does your instruction sheet say for the set of decals you have for this bird? Mine are very vague to say the least!
BTW thanks for the offer Evan, I'll keep that in mind mate :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back