DONE: A-20G Havoc, RAAF No.22 Squadron, Kamiri 1944 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

muller

Tech Sergeant
Apr 7, 2008
Hibernia
Here's my entry in our 2nd GB. Italeri's 1/48 A20-G. I bought this kit on ebay about a year ago, it came with some AeroMaster Decals. I was going to build 'Green Hornet', #43-9047, 675th Bomb Sqd, 417th Bomb Grp, SW Pacific 1944, but I've decided to build it as an RAAF bird. The kit comes with RAAF markings, so do the aftermarket decals, I'm going with the AM RAAF decals. The bird has some white ID panels painted on the the wings. Its DU-V/67, 22 Squadron. So technically its a Boston, not a Havoc.

Scale 1/48, Cat 2 builder (i reckon!)

SL382341.jpg

Kit decals showing RAAF bird, same squadron.

SL382344.jpg

AeroMaster decals.

SL382342.jpg

Bird I'm buiilding.

SL382343.jpg

Medium green over grey are the colours given with the AM decals, no FS numbers, the kit RAAF bird markings says its Pale Green (FS34227) over Air Mobitity Com. Gray (FS36173), I'm assuming both birds would be painted the same colour, right??

Last edited:
Great choice M! Good to see such variety in this GB so far. Have you noticed, there aren't any Japanese aircraft yet?!
BTW, is the Italeri Havoc a re-boxed Accurate Miniatures kit? It should be bl**dy good if it is.

I don't know if its an Accurate Minitures kit Terry, it looks nice, will take some pics of the sprues for you.

The paint schemes on these birds seem a bit all over the place! The kit RAAF scheme says its Pale Green, Model Masters 1716, which is Hu120, a fairly pale green alright!

paint.jpg

But theres a pic of the completed bird on the box and its a much darker green. Undersides are Model Masters 2035, Hu156 Dark Grey.

Untitled-8.jpg

The AeroMaster scheme doesn't specify a paint number, there are lots of medium greens out there!

Thanks for the pics lads 8) I like that profile of DUV/67 Wildcat! Olive Drab with the green patches, that looks like maybe Pale Green on the rudder. And there's no white ID panels on the wings.

I'm confused!

I googled Kamiri, there's not much information about it. It was a jap airfield in Indonesia, captured by US troops on July 3rd 1944.

Veteran Glenn Shankle:
"I waded ashore from the reef as part of the third battalion, 158th RCT. We landed directly on the beach parallel to Kamiri. With the help of tanks, we crossed the runway and cleared the bunkers on the opposite side of the runway. My regiment occupied the entire airfield before the 503rd paratroops landed. The 503rd landed late that same day. Because of an onshore wind, they made a low altitude jump onto the airfield after we had secured it. They suffered numerous casualties from the low jump, but proceeded to secure our right flank. Both units dug in for the night with the airport secure in our possession. The next morning, engineers marked the mines along the roadway, but did not remove them until later. We successfully drove our jeeps and weapons carriers through the mine field without hitting a single one. The mines were actually aircraft bombs with sensitive 4 pound detonators. We later used the bomb casings for ash trays."

The 1st allied plane to land on the airfiled was a RAAF Kittyhawk piloted by Wing Commander L. D. Jackson. If I can find a profile for his bird, it'll be my 2nd entry in this GB. You gotta love the RAAF P-40's!

Hi Muller,

Dont know if you know this but if you go here.

National Archives of Australia

Click on records search
Then click on guest search
type in 22 squadron 1936-1946 you can view page by page in digital format the history of the 22 squadron. I beleive it was around 400 plus pages on the squadron for those years.

Hope it helps
Paul

Cheers paul, great link! :thumbleft:

I found some information on the P-40 pilot. Wing Commander Leslie Douglas Jackson, he got the DFC plus bar. Fought in Libya and New Guinea. He was commander of RAAF 75 Squadron.

I found a profile of a P-40 he flew, but it is from 1942 and before he was promoted. I might just build this one! :)

81_10.gif

Muller I believe the Boston you want to make should be painted as Olive drab over Neutral grey. The light green splotches on the tail and wing leading and trailing edges is medium green. This is how they would have been delivered from the factory. The darker green on the tail and the patch up jobs, is RAAF foliage green. This colour was used extensively by the RAAF in the Pacific and is why it would have been used to patch up damaged sections of the aircraft. The pic of the completed model DU-C on the box, is painted in overall Foliage green.
BTW Kamiri airstrip is on Noemfoor Island.

Muller I've compiled a list of operations flown by A28-67 in its short period of service with the RAAF. Hope this is of some interest.

A28-67 was delivered to the RAAF in Aug 44, from where it was posted to No.22sqn based at Kamiri strip, Noemfoor.

11 Sep 44 – P/O Collett – Strike – Boela strip barge strafed and set on fire.
12 Sep 44 – F/O McKenzie – Strike – Jetty and warehouses bombed, shipping strafed.
13 Sep 44 – F/O O'Leary - Strike – bombed radar site at Goele Goele. Shipping strafed.
14 Sep 44 – P/O Collett – Strike – Boela strip. Shipping strafed.
15 Sep 44 – F/O O'Leary – Strike – Boela strip.
15 Sep 44 - F/O O'Leary – Photograph and bombed Idore. (lone a/c)
1 Oct 44 – P/O Collett - Strike – Amahia strip.
3 Oct 44 – F/O McKenzie – Barge sweep – Aroe Islands.
4 Oct 44 – P/O Collett – Shipping sweep – Ambon Bay. 12 vessels attacked.
11 Oct 44 – P/O Collett – Barge sweep – Kaoe Dodinga Bays. 1 vessel and village attacked.
14 Oct 44 – F/O Collett – PR – All airstrips on Kai Islands.
15 Oct 44 – F/L Daly – Strike – W/T station at Waai.
19 Oct 44 – W/O Dobson – Strike – Letfoer. A28-67 hit in starboard nacelle.
29 Oct 44 – F/O Raynor – Strike – Soeli village.
6 Nov 44 – F/O Collett – PR – Escape routes on the Vogelkop Peninsular.
18 Nov 44 – F/O Collett – Strike. Sidate airstrip and shipping attacked.
22 Nov 44 – F/O Collett – Strike – warehouse and harbour installations at Bunawan Harbour.

A28-67 was one of 11 Bostons of 22 sqn destroyed or damaged by Japanese air raid on the night of the 22nd. -67 was written off from the damage it recieved.

Cheers Andy! Great info, A28-67 might have had a short service history with 22 Sqd, but she was busy! I think I'll go with the scheme you posted. Just need to confirm the colours.

Is this right?

A20.gif

Any idea what paint manufacturer is quoted in the pic? (Olive Drab 41, Neutral Grey 43)

Yup, you've got the colours right. I don't know what manufacturer is used above, but I can tell you for foliage green I use Humbrol 149. The other colours shouldn't be too hard to match up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back