DONE: A-20G Havoc, RAAF No.22 Squadron, Kamiri 1944 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers Andy, I have a tin of Hu149. Looking forward to starting this crate!

Great info on the P40 and Boston, Paul and Andy, nice work guys.
Keith, the numbers shown for the Olive Drab and Neutral Gray are the US colour numbers, not those of a paint manufacturer. They were both standard US colours, as used, for example, on B17's in the ETO. In 'official' use, they would both be followed by the FS number, for example, Olice Drab 42, FS !?!?.
There were two Olive Drab paints, 41 and 42, and I can never remember which was the darker of the two! However, they both faded and weathered quickly, so anything resembling a greenish brown, through brownish green to a greenish purple could be seen!

Cheers Terry, I checked out White Ensign vs Humbrol on the Paint conversion chart, there is no Humbrol equivelent for Olive Drab 41, they also have Medium Green 42, again, no Humbrol match Neutral Grey 43 which is Hu123, but I think I'll just WEM enamels for them all. I can use them again when i build the 'Green Hornet' A-20, sometime around 2012 :lol:

Yeah, it's a pity that Humbrol (when they WERE Humbrol!) don't still do the 'Authentic Colour' range, which was fantastic - still got a couple of 25 + year old tins! I normally just mix my own Olive Drab and Neutral Gray, no two mixes being exactly the same (!), depending on the subject.

Muller

A really good choice! I've got the same kit in my stash and hope to start sometime:rolleyes: . This is originally an AMT kit. I've been collecting reference material for some time. There is also a profile of 67 in Quarter Scale Modeller No16 (I can post the complete article if the mods say yes) but it's B&W line. There was a good article and a number of profiles in SAM Vol 24 No 3 which also included both side and top views of 67. I'll post them here now. Looking forward to see the finished plane.

Attachments

• SAM boston p01 small.jpg
    SAM boston p01 small.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 124
  • SAM boston p02 small.jpg
    SAM boston p02 small.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 120
  • SAM boston p03 small.jpg
    SAM boston p03 small.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 124
  • SAM boston p04 small.jpg
    SAM boston p04 small.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 126
  • SAM boston p05 small.jpg
    SAM boston p05 small.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 123
  • SAM boston p06 small.jpg
    SAM boston p06 small.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 116
This photo is reputed to be A28-67, although the caption in the AWM does not have full detail.

AWM Collection Record: OG1737 - NOEMFOOR ISLAND, DUTCH NEW GUINEA. 1944-10-29. GROUP PORTRAIT OF PILOTS, NAVIGATORS AND GROUND STAFF OF NO. 22 (BOSTON) SQUADRON RAAF GROUPED OVER AND AROUND ONE OF THE AMERICAN BOSTON BOMBER ...

A caption of the same photo appear in a red roo publication on the A-20 as:-

"22 Squadron personnel watching a flying show gather around A28-67, DU-V, on Kamiri Strip Noemfoor during 1944. The pilot of the Boston, Flight Lieutenant J.L.N. McMillan, is standing on the port wing, forth from the right."

Missed these posts! Great stuff Ozhawk! :thumbleft: That profile doesn't have the foliage green patch up job on it. The kit has decals for the walkways for the wings. Thats a cool B&W shot of the real thing too 8)

Now that I have that armour build out of the way I'll be starting this bird this week.

Keith, there's a feature article in the May edition of Model Airplane International magazine, where some bloke is building the MPM Havoc in 1/72nd scale. Although yours is 1/48th, it might be useful. There's also 2 pages of colour profiles, US crates plus one Russian, some of which are PTO.
If you can't get it, and think it might be useful, bung me an e-mail address and I'll send it, given my bl**dy 'net doesn't keep dropping out!

We interupt this thread to bring you a news flash!
Keith I think a while back you were on the lookout for the Matchbox 1/72nd scale 'Flower Class' Corvette?
Well, Jan sent me an e-mail with a copy of the newsletter from Relish Models. They've just got stock of the Revell re-issue of this model, billed as HMCS 'Snowberry' (I think.) Retail price, £59.99, Relish price £49.99. Big kit, over 1,000 parts!
Thought you'd like to know. Now, back to our scheduled thread....

Cheers Terry! E-mail addy on the way. :thumbleft: The kit has decals for a Soviet bird, and it would be PTO, but I want to build the RAAF one.

Cheers for the info on the Relish Models deal. I want to build the Corvette for my Dad's 70th birthday in november, he served on them in the navy in the 50's. The Irish Navy bought three Flower Class Corvettes from the Royal Navy after the war. They were still in service in the early 1970's! 1000 bits?? I'd better get my skates on! My LHS had one, €75, it's gone now though.

Been lazy about starting this one. Last night I removed, cleaned up and primed the props and engines. I'm going to build this one like the 190, fiddly bits first then the main parts. Hopefully I'll get the engines and props painted tonight. Will post pics later. I still need to order the paints from White Ensign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back