DONE: Finished Kittyhawk IV -Curtiss P-40N RAAF 76 Sqn G-SV A29-1140 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's a right Royal pain when that happens! Bl**dy good recovery though, the roundels look brilliant!
I've sometimes been able to save older dcals when they've lifted or separated, by 'paintin' under any lifting edges, then over the decal, using a clear gloss varnis - the 'enamel' type, not acrylic, as the latter won't form a good enough seal.
Having seen your work, I think I might invest in a compass cutter - don't know what happened to the old one I had, probably still packed somewhere after moving house 12 years ago!

Looks good Pete,I thought you would be more than up to that challenge with the skill's displayed thus far.Cheers Kevin

Great result Peter! I thought of a similar idea last night- painting the white as you did, punching out the red disc from a standard RAF wing roundel, and applying the blue part...

Cheers and thanks

Javlin I must admit I am in unchartered territory - for me, but have watched a great video called Expert Model Craft - Airbrush Painting Techniques with Geoff Illsley. This video shows the technique of painting the roundels using masks. He used a product called Artool "Ultra Mask", which may produce a smoother cut than Tamiya tape, but it's worked out okay. Recommended video if you can get hold of a copy by whatever means. Even I can look good copying others! - but I guess learning from each other is one of the great things about this hobby and this site.

Airframes, the compass cutter is more difficult for smaller circles, and I had to modify mine to cut a circle less than 5mm radius (10mm diameter). In the video above, the presenter used a "pump compass" (bow compass?) with a blade attached, rather than a pencil lead. I think this would be a better way to go in hindsight. Thanks for the tips on fixing decals. I've been using "One Go" an aussie equivalent to Future, but I think I might change to Tamiya acrylic or enamel clear and see how that goes. It doesn't seem to "gloss up" as much as others and certainly doesn't hold cr#p decals in place! Live and learn.

Maglar - you're wrong - it took several Scotches! :D8)

Cheers

Well, I got everything finished today. All those bits and pieces and final weathering and such. Tried very much not to over do it. A finished thread will appear very soon, when I get some good weather to do some outside photos - hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks to all those who have provided advice and encouragement as the build progressed - very much appreciated.

As this is my final post to this thread, I thought I'd post a photo of my favourite 76 Squadron nose art. This is A29-1106 "Little Audrey" coded SV-E and flown by (mostly by) - Flying Officer Bill Keritz. Photo credit is the Aviation Heritage Museum of WA. The photo was taken at Labuan airfield about June 1945. I hope you like it too.

Cheers

Ozhawk

Attachments

• P016336 resized.jpg
    P016336 resized.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Well, I did'nt think I would have anything further to add to this build, but I was wrong!

Just recently I have been contacted by the son of the pilot at the time of 1140's accident on Labuan Island and he has filled me in on further details. I can now add a bit more background info.

Firstly, in the picture of the crashed aircraft, the person standing to the left was the pilot, Milton Furze.

A pilot on the scene, Len Bird gives this account of the accident:-

The Len Bird Story - As told by Len Bird

"A report had come in that some Japanese aircraft had been sighted on the ground at Keningau in the north-western part of Borneo. Because Labuan was much closer to Keningau than Tawi it was decided to detach a couple of Kittyhawks to Labuan. However, the usable strip at Labuan t this stage was only about six hundred yards long, which was pretty short for a Kittyhawk.

Nevertheless Peter Jones, the Commanding Officer decided to go and took Fuzzy Furze along with him. They never located the aircraft but on one of the trips Fuzzy landed back at Labuan and either put his brakes on too early or hit a soft patch, the plane did a forward somersault and finished up upside down on the strip. (The strip was just consolidated earth – not sealed).

Meanwhile he was hanging in his straps with petrol dripping onto his head from the centre section fuel tanks. It appears that it took about half an hour to get him out and Fuzzy stated that it was the longest thirty minutes he could remember".

Milton's son also provided a newspaper clipping of Milton's exploits, a picture of Milton in flight gear, and a copy of his log books for the days on Labaun, including an account of the incident. All of this he has allowed to be shared, so please find this additional information below.

As a final note, I have made a gift of the completed model to Milton's son and it will be heading his way very soon, so it's found a good home.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• A29-1140 stacked.jpg
    A29-1140 stacked.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Labuan8.jpg
    Labuan8.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Labuan9.jpg
    Labuan9.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 192
  • mm-furze-port-2.jpg
    mm-furze-port-2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 188
  • A29-1140 image 2.jpg
    A29-1140 image 2.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 171
Wildcat, I think he was indicating Peter Jones destroyed the a/c on that run. Hard to say. In an interview with JG Odgers, the RAAF Historian, he used the words "we" in relation to this action. Peter Jones is still with us and living in QLD.

Cheers.

Peter

Marvellous! Great info Peter, and as Dan said, brings the point home, well and truly! This has really captured the spirit of the Group Builds, and it's really fantastic that your model has not only now been seen world wide, but will going 'home' as it were, to the family of the pilot. Superb job Peter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back