DONE: Finished Kittyhawk IV -Curtiss P-40N RAAF 76 Sqn G-SV A29-1140 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great work Peter! :thumbleft:

Is the drawing a photocopy? Was it 1/48 scale or did you have to change it? I'd love to know how to do it on the copier in work, you need a doctorate in Computer Science to use that thing!

Muller

It was much easier. I just printed a pdf scan of the page. The drawing was already scaled to 1/48. Just need to make sure that the printer is set for "actual size" not "scaled to fit paper". I did just double check to make sure the overall dimensions agreed to that of the model - and they did! Fantastic. 8)

I'll attach the drawings for anybody else if that's okay.

Cheers

Attachments

• Pages from Airwar 55 - Curtiss P40 Part IV.pdf
    512.4 KB · Views: 130
Decals started, heres some update pics

Attachments

• decal 1 resized.jpg
    decal 1 resized.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 172
  • decal 2 resized.jpg
    decal 2 resized.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 170
Excellent work Peter, it's looking great. BTW, thanks for the plans, they'll come in useful I'm sure!

Finished with the decals and am now doing the final small bits n pieces and weathering. When doing the research for this aircraft it became apparent that the decals and instruction given were a little "off" and so I've had to make some changes.

Here's what I've changed or would like to have changed, and why.

1) This aircraft carried 36inch roundels at all locations and not the 32inch roundels supplied in the decal sheet. The difference is easy to calculate, using the scale drawings. Photos I have of 1134,1138,1140,1190,1204 all show this larger size roundel. I had to dip into the "spares" to get the right ones.

2) The code letters have the SV part of the code at the rear of the roundel on both sides. This is correct, but contrary the the decal instructions. I have photos of both sides of 1140, so there can be no dispute about that, but the decal manufacturer makes a point about doing it the opposite way on the port side!

3) The serial positions shown in the decal instructions are too far forward. It's clear in photos that the serial starts underneath the tail, and not forward of the tail.

4) Something I would like to change is the Panther, nice though it is, it's about 25% too large, and a little "overweight", and the whiskers and nose should not be so prominent.

5) This aircraft definitely carried a name or legend above the Panther head, which was never included in the profile and therefore the decal sheet, because the only known photo of the artwork was not clear enough to show the name and part of the cowl was missing. I've tried to find out what that name was, without success but maybe sometime later, I'll find out and add it on.

6) It's by no means certain that this aircraft was missing the fin flash. I suspect it actually did have one, based on the fact that this aircraft was a replacement. The aircraft provided from the Air Depot for the initial change over from P-40M's seem to have more attention to markings and lack the fin flash, but that's conjecture. The tail markings were probably very similar to 1190 and if I did this model again, I'd include the flash.

Here's some more progress photos. 8)

Cheers

Ozhawk40

Attachments

• detail  2 resized.jpg
    detail 2 resized.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 173
  • detail  7 resized.jpg
    detail 7 resized.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys

Smashing isn't quite the right word for it, but that's what I feel like doing.

Seems the decals I used were a little past their use by date and this one fell off. I didn't touch it - honest!:oops:

Does anybody have some sage advice? I think I need to remove both the lower ones at least. What's the best way to get them without too much damage to the paint?

I nearly, and I mean almost nearly painted them on rather than use these decals. Well, the spares box is empty so what do you think - should I have a crack?

Attachments

• wing decal.jpg
    wing decal.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 157
Well, first attempt at this. A few small fix ups and matt coat to follow, but otherwise mission successful I think.

Actually, if I fine tune this a bit it would probably turn out better than decals. I should do some more practice and get this down pat.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• roundel 1 resize.jpg
    roundel 1 resize.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 166
  • roundel 2 resize.jpg
    roundel 2 resize.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 171
  • roundel 4 resize.jpg
    roundel 4 resize.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 169