DONE: Finished Kittyhawk IV -Curtiss P-40N RAAF 76 Sqn G-SV A29-1140 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wildcat!

Well that means it was flown by more than a few pilots and includes the Squadron Leader Wilson if I read that right. Very interesting.

I've found another profile in the "In Action" series, showing A29-1193 the recipient of the artwork. Don't think I can trust the colour description. These were all Olive Drab were they not?

Gratuitous inclusion of John Waddy's kite for Wayne.

Cheers

Hi Ozhawk! Following is an image of a P-40 which by repair records at the ADF serials website has the Id,
tenatively, as P-40N, 76 sqn A29-1196, 44-47824. The question is, have you or any of your friends
familiar with 76sqn birds recognize the art on the rudder? It's got a few of us stumped! Thanks in advance!
MysteryP-40s.jpg

Hard to say b21ft.

Looks like it could be a depiction of Garuda or a Phoenix. Either way they only person who may be able to say would be the pilot or the erk that painted it.

Off hand I would have said that is not a 76 squadron aircraft by lack of lightning bolt across tail and (guessing) style of codes, which don't appear to be the distinctive font, but smaller block. Can't read them though - that would be a give away.

If you have the date pinned down, it is possible to tell the pilot who flew her. Wildcat may be able to assist, but the records, unit histories are available at the National Archives for all to see.

Cheers, and thanks for posting this interesting picture.

Hard to say b21ft.
Off hand I would have said that is not a 76 squadron aircraft by lack of lightning bolt across tail and (guessing) style of codes, which don't appear to be the distinctive font, but smaller block.
Thanks for your reply. The lack of the lightning bolt is obvious, but I'm not very familiaer with RAAF
squadrons. Is the light-coloured flash at the top of the rudder any help?

No date, location or any ID accompanies the photo.

I'll google for National Archives and dig around a bit. Thanks!

G'day b21f. From the line up of what looks to be Mustangs in the background, I'd say the location would be Labuan, Borneo. It's the only location I can think of off the top of my head were RAAF P-40's would have come into contact with P-51's.
Now IF the Mustangs are RAAF aircraft, they would most likely be 82 sqn planes, which was based at Labuan just after the war ended. 76 was based there at the same time and still equipped with P-40's. The only other possibility is that the a/c belongs to 77 sqn, which was also at Labaun converting to P-51's. This might explain the lack of lightning flash.

Last edited:
b21ft

I think this Kittyhawk is getting ready for it's last flight off the back of a barge. Please note the damage to wing which I have highlighted. I think they are giving it a severe clip.

MysteryP-40s-whatshappening.jpg

Note this following picture of another Kittyhawk prepared in a similar fashion (AWM pic). Note the lack of a canopy on both. Note date of this photo, which is just prior to the move of the now mustang equipped 81 Wing to Japan. This may give you some more clues.

AWM ref is "LABUAN, 1946-01-15. DAMAGED KITTYHAWK FIGHTER AND SPITFIRES AWAITING DISPOSAL BY DUMPING IN THE SEA. DONOR: N.M. WALKER"

LABUAN1946-01-15DAMAGEDKITTYHAWKFIG.jpg

If this was the case , I don't think it could be 1196 as this aircraft was issued to the Navy in 1948.

What do you think?

cheers

Peter

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
The detail on this Hasegawa is great, but the way they built this model to make various versions is painfull.

I decided to assemble both halves complete with tail section before sticking them together, however this creates a join line vertically down the centre of the rear fuselage where there shouldn't be a panel line. It stumps me why they didn't add the extra bit just like Curtiss did in '42 - or was that '41. Someone will tell me for sure.

Cheers

G'day mate!

I reckon it's due to the different positions of the tail fin. On early models it was positioned with base of leading edge almost in line with the leading edge of the tailplanes - later repositioned 5 1/2" (if I remember right) aft on P-40K-15s and-20s, Ms, and Ns.

Maybe Hasegawa made the break off point a little more forward to avoid awkward sanding at the tailplane leading edge?

Evan

I think this Kittyhawk is getting ready for it's last flight off the back of a barge.

If this was the case , I don't think it could be 1196 as this aircraft was issued to the Navy in 1948.

What do you think?
Sorry for the slow reply..my second try today. I lost the first reply to the ether earlier today.:cry:

I think I agree with the barge trip, but according to ADF serials 1196 served earlier than 1948. Given her
being a latecomer to the squadron, spending much of her time in various depots, the end of the war, and
the possibility 76 sqn knowing P-51's were coming for change...might account for the lack of the "lightning
bolt" insignia. Why bother? The difference in the font? Perhaps since it was a replacement bird it never
gained some of the details the veterans posessed. Or none of the above..I wouldn't attempt to force the
photo to fit the ADF serials info. I also would not toss out the possibility while trying to find the originator
of the "rudder art".

Thanks for the welcome OZhawk!

Welcome to ADF Serials
A29-1196 P-40N-40 44-47824 1/45 served with 76 Sqn; on 7/6/45 received by 76 Sqn from 11 RSURP; on 16/9/45 allocated to 4 Sqn, but this was cancelled 4 days later; on 18/9/45 during t/o it tipped onto its nose at the end of Labuan strip due to engine failure; on 28/9/45 returned to 76 Sqn from 1 RSU after repairs; on 10/10/45 received by 1 RSU from 76 Sqn; on 21/11/45 received by 6 AD from 1 RSU for storage; on 29/11/45 received by CFS from 6 AD; on 9/5/46 received at Pt Cook storage from CFS; on 3/12/48 approval to convert to components.

Apologies for sidetracking your build page, but I figured the subject matter you chose and your references
would give me a chance to catch several folks "with books opened to the page".:D

b21ft

Not a problem, an interesting diversion.

As a final comment, I also reckon this a/c had a white tail at some stage. If it was 1196, it would not have received the white theatre markings. Something to consider.

regards

Peter

b21ft

Not a problem, an interesting diversion.

As a final comment, I also reckon this a/c had a white tail at some stage. If it was 1196, it would not have received the white theatre markings. Something to consider.

regards

Peter
Ahh! Thanks for the education!

Hi

Getting back to the build. I started on detailing the undercarriage. A couple of things needed to be done so that it gives a better effect, so I sucked a deep breath and have started. No turning back!

The axle stubs are made for the kit wheels, but these are smooth tread, and 1140 had block tread tyres. Luckily I had some resin spares from the Eduard kit (ex Mauve) in 1/48 that are 30in. Most P-40N's had the smaller 27in wheels to save weight. I had to trim the axles to allow the resin wheels to fit correctly.

I also used a pin vice and drill to drill out the eyelets that were used for towing p-40's around with a tug.

Next I removed the two bands that are molded on the legs. These represent the brackets that hold the brake line to the leg. These I will replace. I've seen them replaced with thin slices of masking tape, but I'm going with thin slices of an aluminium coke can and super glued down. I've never bothered to add brake lines to models so you call tell I am going all out and stretching the skills. :rolleyes: Lets hope it doesn't end in tears :cry:

Any advice at this point would be good! Good advice would be better again.

I'll need to paint the legs again before I go much further, and I'm going to add a black placard to the face of the leg before the brake lines are finally added.

I also found some copper wire for the brake lines, but I think they look too thick, and will stop off at the hardware store tomorrow and look for fine guage fuse wire.

Filling and sanding of the fuselage and wings has been completed - I now hate Hasegawa more than ICM!:shock:

Yes, Yes I'm sure I feel better about it tomorrow. 8)

Cheers

Ozhawk

Attachments

• undercarriage work - resized.jpg
    undercarriage work - resized.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 145
Sure is looking good. If you can get a finer copper wire, you'll find it's easier to work with than fuse wire. Alternatively, you could use stretched sprue, with any bends made around a suitably sized rod, dowel etc, such as a paint brush shank. It's often easier to make a complete, or almost complete circle, then cut as required, rather than trying to do, say, a third of the arc.
To replace the 'bands' around the legs, although thin aluminium will work, again it might be easier to work with thin plastic sheet. Cut the required strips, then superglue one end into place on the leg. When set, bend it around, keeping it under tension, and glue a spot at a time, until reaching the joint. Overlap this slightly, gluing before the actual joint, then trim, add a spot of glue, and press into place. It's the same method as using 'ally' of course, but more forgiving with plastic!

Good work. Excellent cockpit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent work. I enjoy seeing someone go that "extra mile" for detail. If you need any advice, I suggest you ask
a general question and someone will jump in with an answer.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back