Can't believe that someone has finished already, not one but two builds! - better pulls some digits out!
Have primered the A/c and am doing a few small fix ups here and there that have shown up. Pics will be up soon.
In the meantime I have been working on a PSP base for a display. I raided an Eduard P-40 kit which came with it included.
Painted it Model Master "burnt exhaust" buffed it and have wash it with water colours in antique white to look like the crushed coral base that SWPA airfields were made from. The photo makes the PSP look lighter in colour than under natural light. I was very pleased with the result.
Also below is a photo of a PSP airfield under construction. Photo is from Jack Cook and gives a good indication of the effect that I was after.
The Eduard PSP is good. Too good. Which is to say that it is too uniform and even for an ultra-realistic look, but on the plus side, it is cheap and easy to get hold of.
What's the alternative? I do have some photo-etch stuff from an evil-bay bonus buy but that's looks very difficult to put together and expensive for the size of a base. I'm saving that for the "odd one or two" use in a diorama.
Make your own sounds interesting, but gawd, there is soooo many holes!
Thanks Peter. I suppose with a bit of 'shade painting', and laid on an uneven base, it would look more authentic. Having worked with the real stuff on occassion, it does settle and become fairly even after a while - and at least in 1/48th scale it doesn't weigh so much, or take out your knees when handling it!
I'm with you Terry. I came across a piece dumped at a local park - god knows how it got there! My wife "convinced" me it wouldn't make a great water feature in the back yard. Maybe I should start a thread - "Interesting uses for PSP you have found on the web". I've photos of it being used as fencing in native gardens on Morotai. lovely rustic charm!