Done : Fw190D-9, "Black 12" of Leutnant Teo Nibel of 10/JG54, Gruppe Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Alex. Yes, I used the edge of a piece of masking tape, on one side only, just to give me a line to work to. It was virtually impossible to get masking tape to follow the compound curves if stuck doen completely. It's not perfect, but near enough to pass muster. Painting the white outline on the number '1' turned out to be harder, which surprised me.

Thanks very much guys, I really appreciate it, as I never think much of my own work, models or paintings.
I think the spiral was more luck than anything else, but a good brush certainly helped. I must make a mental note to choose Luftwaffe subjects that DON'T have a spiralschnauze!!
Dan, I didn't really get that much done. Remember, it's a 1/48th kit, and I have plenty of spare time. I think the last stage, including the decals, took a total of about 20 hours, spread over about 3 days.
I'll probably give this one a rest for a few days, as there are other things I need to get on with, such as the photography guide, and cleaning/repairing/finishing the last 30 years worth of models! There's one I've been looking at, which is almost finished, but I started it just over ten years ago! It's a conversion of a 1/32nd scale Tornado F2 to the F3, and the main reason the final bits haven't been done, is I wanted to put it in a display case. I'll get around to it eventually!

Thanks Kevin.
I'm having a break from the 'real' modelling at the moment, as I seem to be having major problems with this stupid Arthritis; I'm having a bit of pain when trying to stand or walk, and my hands are certainly too stiff to attempt anything like assembly, unless the whole World wants to hear some new swear words as I f**k things up!
So, instead, I've been doing a bit on the plain base for the 'Dora'. I can't really show it yet, as the details can't be seen until they've dried fully and been painted. But, as the scene is representing Plantleunne airfield on 31 December, 1944, I'm trying to achieve a bare grass effect, with semi-frozen muddy patches, streaks of melted snow, and a very light dusting of fresh powder snow, with a couple of ice-covered puddles. So far, I've done the 'grass', cut out the areas for the 'puddles', and added the 'snow' patches, using blobs and streaks of PVA glue fcor the latter. When this is totally dry, it will be almost clear, and can be painted to represent the snow, with that grey, almost clear icy edge you'd expect to see. I'm hoping that a light misting from the airbrush will replicate the 'powder' and frosty dusting of wind-blown snow.
With a bit of luck, hands permitting, I might be able to use the camera and post some pics in the next day or so.

Thanks chaps!
Why not, mine's a large one thanks!
This stupid disease is really starting to p!ss me off! I can just about handle the pain, but the f*****g frustration of being so stiff that it's difficult to move around, and nearly impossible, in some instances, to pick things up, is doing my head in!
I'm REALLY looking forward to starting on this new 'wonder' medication, even though it means self-injecting in three points every week. I know it won't be a cure, but any help has got to be good, and I was told on Thursday that, if all goes to plan, the authorisation should be in place by mid to late March. Yippee!
Anyway, enough of this cr*p, back to the modelling asap, I hope!

Users who are viewing this thread