**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Macchi C.202 Folgore - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bloody hope so Andy. I'm thinking of putting this one in the display cabinet upside down after all the time I've spent on the undercarriage bay upgrade!

The innards are looking good Kirby! But don't like the look of that warpage. Definitely a challenge working with the PE stuff at this smaller scale.

Thanks for the comments guys.

So got this undercarriage bay upgrade finished at last and ready for installation. Here it is assembled and weathered. I've included a match in the first picture to give a sense of the beautiful detail provided by Eduard at this scale. Also how fiddly it is to put together! :crazyeyes:

engine plug d web.jpg

engine plug f web.jpg

engine plug e web.jpg

engine plug g web.jpg

Now that this is ready, I also started making some preparations for addition of the wings. The II Serie Folgores were not equipped with wing mounted machine guns, so the rather poor kit representations were removed.

machine guns a web.jpg

machine guns b web.jpg

The ejector chute openings were also filled using the same method as was used for the antenna mast opening, although this time plastic strip was melted and pushed through from the inside. The protruding end was further melted using Tamiya Extra Thin and worked with a cocktail stick in much the same way as putty.

ejection chute a web.jpg

Once dry, the plastic was shaved and sanded flush. The added advantage of the white strip is that you can see when all the excess has been sanded away.

ejection chute b web.jpg

I'm quite relieved to be done with the cockpit and undercarriage bay "mini-models". Now I can get on with the airframe...

Slap me daddy with a wet haddock !
That wheel bay detail must have been a real challenge to complete, but it really looks the biz. Have you stopped shaking and dribbling yet ?!!
Great work Kirby.

Thanks Andy. It's installed now and wings on but been dealing with more warping issues - pics soon.

That rear engine plug should really add some depth to the wheel well. Great job Kirby!

Thanks a lot guys!

So I don't know if this kit was warehoused in the Simpson Desert or it's just the hot weather we've been having here, but every time I turn around I find more warping. Here's the latest I noticed during test fitting of the lower wing.

warped wing web.jpg

So out came my daughter's hairdryer again. I clamped the wing flat to my cutting mat and used the same procedure as described in post #51 for the warped fuselage halves. The proper shape was restored pretty well, so the engine plug was attached to the bottom wing and the assembly glued to the fuselage. The upper and lower cowls were attached at this point and guess what! More warping around the exhaust fairings that required toothpicks as spreaders to provide a proper mating surface for gluing.

lower wings web.jpg

While this was all drying I turned my attention to some access hatches on the upper wing that were not present on the Folgore.

access hatches web.jpg

These were filled with Mr Surfacer 500 and sanded flush.

access hatches filled web.jpg

With this done, the upper wing halves were joined to the lower wing and, to my great surprise, the fit was perfect and no filler was required. And because no assembly stage on this kit can go by without the addition of some PE, stiffening braces were added to the wing root area.

airframe web.jpg

Starting to look like a Folgore at last! I'm debating whether to attach the horizontal stabs before painting or not to allow easier access to this area for painting of the complex camo pattern. Will think more on that...

So with the wings on, here's some shots of the undercarriage bay. I think it was worth the work.

ub f web.jpg

ub g web.jpg

Thanks for hanging out with me on this one guys.

Coming together nicely, Kirby! The plumbing work in the wheel well was definitely worth IT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back