**** DONE: GB-36 1:48 Macchi C.205 ( 1 ) - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Many thanks SF. With regards to decal solutions, I have 3 different brands, 4 if I can ever find my Walthers again. They are Microscale, Polly Scale(sadly almost finished), and Mr. Mark. I've listed them in what I feel are least to most aggressive from personal use. Others may disagree but I think all will agree that Walthers is the most aggressive. I always use Microscale Set Solution first, just my choice. If the Microscale Sol solution doesn't work, I'll use the others. With these decals I've had to use the Mr. Mark Softer a few times. I've have had some problems with this stuff in the past but I'm pretty sure it was my fault, using too much and not removing the excess. As always, test first. As for the stand, I got it here...UMM-USA I noticed they dropped the price since I bought it

Thank you Fubar57! I said I wasn't going to spend anymore money. Now I am a LIAR! I had to have it and that Czech Micro Saw handle and blades! :)

This is the one that worried me the most, going over the air filter. I decided to use Polly Scale Softener for this one and it worked great. Took some persuasion to get it to wrap underneath.

IMG_0001.JPG

25 on, 73 to go and that's just the smoke rings. These things take forever to release if the water isn't very hot so depending how much work is done to ensure all the air is removed from under the decal, 3 is the most I've been able to lay down in one go.

IMG_0004.JPG

I admire your dedication with this! It's looking REALLY good! You have earned a glass of wine Sir! ;)

Nicely done there Geo, and your patience must be getting stretched.
We might have to start a new category for judging - decals with a model attached to them !

Thanks guys. My decal work is about to get faster. During my move to a new model room things got misplaced/lost. I've been looking this for the past 3 days: its a coffee mug warmer and works great....

IMG_0002.JPG

Good idea. I used to keep the water warm by placing the bowl under a halogen lamp, but if the session is a long one, it tends to cool part way through. I might have to get one of those, or use the filter coffee thing I have somewhere.

My Geo, you have infinite patience, it's turning out great. I must also be a lucky one for we have instant hot water from a solar panel, so I just change the water when it gets cold.

Thanks Vic and Terry. Managed to get a whack of decals on before dinner. I take back what I said about the decal going over the filter that worried me the most. It was the one piece decal that straddled the gun troughs. It has cutouts for the gun troughs. Smart George would have cut it in thirds and applied them individually but he left Idiot George in charge who applied it in one piece: 10 to 15 minutes later, success. I applied the Polly Scale after the photo...

1.jpg

Overall shot of the completed port fuselage and working out on the wings and my saviour at work on the right.

3.jpg

Quick question, mostly to Kirby. Is this paint water based or not. I keep seeing conflicting info. One says water based and another says solvent based acrylic. My question.....does this thin and clean-up like water based paint. If so. I've found a retailer in B.C. that sells this and Tamiya for under $3 Canadian and the shipping is cheap.......ish.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good Geo. I could use two of those mug warmers - one for each butt cheek as it's cold in my shop.

Like the model, progressing nicely. I don't know anything about those GS paints. Been wanting to try them but I can't find them anywhere in town.

Veltro shaping up nicely Geo :thumbleft:

Gunze makes 2 lines of paint, the Mr. Color line which is what you have shown above and is a lacquer-based acrylic, and the Mr. Aqueous Color line which is water-based acrylic. Not at all confusing!

I almost exclusively use the Mr. Aqueous Color paints which you can thin with Tamiya X20A thinner, IPA, water, etc and clean up with Windex, etc - they are great paints. They have a different looking label, here's one of the colours you have above.

ccd8b0cab1625e97fe7597a9e62e14ae3239c165_300x300.jpg

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Gunze ceased exporting the Mr. Aqueous Color line to the US and Canada maybe 10 years ago due to "declining sales". Seems an odd call, especially for what is a very good product.

Good God Geo this is a great build thread. I've not been up on the other builds and have missed much. I've used both the Aquaris and Mr. Color while stationed in Okinawa Japan, The Mr Color is a mess if you ask me. I never got used to them but they can be interesting in a closed not ventilated room ;) . I could never get them just right and they spyder webbed on me real bad. The Mr Aquaris Color I really liked. I love the smoke ring decals, where did you get them? I have the Eduard kit which is the Hasi with the Eduard add in. Also picked up the Pacific Coast 200. The Italian birds I have always liked but never wanted to do the paint. German molting is bad enough.

I really love your work, really love it.

:thumbright:

My two cents to the info on the Mr.Color paints... I agree with Kirby there are two lines of the colours. Aside from these line names mentoned about, you also may find the C and H markings for them. The "C" series is the organic (cellulose ) thinner based one while the water based one is marked as the "H". Therefore you can find either the Mr.Color C...the paint number ( e.g. C017 ) or Mr.Color H ... ( e.g.H017).
The colours of the C series require the dedicated thinner while the H series can be thinned with the distilled water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back